Second Skin Audio

Sundown SA-12: less powerful than I tought?

Golitan11

its all depends on the box and the car that you run them in. it will make a huge difference in output.. you should try hooking up your buddys sub in your car on your amp and then you would have a better comparison in output.

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

Sounds like you gotta prefab box, build a box or get someone to build a box that brings out the hell in that sundown. I got 2 sa12's in a built box and they flex my windows plenty. GET THE RIGHT BOX, and add another sa, and a sundown amp :) I'm very pro sundown, so that's just my two cents.

-playing with different setups

Sounds like you gotta prefab box, build a box or get someone to build a box that brings out the hell in that sundown. I got 2 sa12's in a built box and they flex my windows plenty. GET THE RIGHT BOX, and add another sa, and a sundown amp :) I'm very pro sundown, so that's just my two cents.

Couldn't agree more. Built my first box last weekend for my sdc2.5 13 and on 500 watts there is some flexing. Ordered $200 of deadener supplieslasr night to try and stop the flex

2000 Toyota Camry With Sealed Off Trunk

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Gathering Parts For Wall Build.

Team DC Audio 2014 Member

I have a Sundown SA-12 D2 subwoofer, an Hifonics BRX1100.1D amplifier and a Pioneer DEH-X7500S headunit

RMS Power Rating (@ 14.4V):

• 4 ohms: 450 watts x 1 chan.
  • 2 ohms: 800 watts x 1 chan.
  • 1 ohm: 1100 watts x 1 chan.

LOL it is not because it is rated at 800W @ 2 ohms that I cannot run it at 800W @ 1 ohm! The gain can be set to whatever you like you know... Anyway yeah I set my gain with a DMM to get 800W @ 1 ohm (I tested the box terminals resistance just to be sure and it was really showing ~1,1 ohm with the DMM). My gain was already set with the subwoofer output level (on the headunit) to the maximum (which is +6). But some told me that it would more possibly clip at that level so I consider to reset my gain the subwoofer output level at 0 with a -5 dB test tone (instead of 0 dB) and when I want to show off I will just have to crank the subwoofer output level.

SO...... are running it @ 1 ohm or not?? Also sub volume control should be set at max if its clean and undistorted. Sub volume control isn't a bass feature its voltage output for the rca's........... The more clean power on the rca's the loud it get with less volume needed.

Like the others have said its your box. The math on your enclosure is incorrect.

30"L x 16.5"W x 14"H = 3.09245cu ft

3.09245cu ft. is your volume and according to the picture with a 3"W x 12.5" H port...... You'd need 21.623" in length to meet the requirements to be tuned at 35hz. You posted a length of 14.25" + 21.75" ( 36" ). Which also isn't correct because you left off part of the port length (1.75" + .75" which is from the center of the port line to the front of the end of that port wall.)

Your posted length is actually 14.25" + 21.75" + 1.75" + .75" = 38.5"....................... which is like 28.04hz give or take.

So in closing if the information you provided is correct... Your giving the sub 1cu ft of space more than that recommended. As well as giving it 200 more watts than recommended. Bigger box is fine but not if your going to over power the sub. A smaller box is what's needed if your going to over power the sub.

* Eclipse CD3200 with PAC SWI-CAN2 and SW-ECL2 Steering Wheel Controls Interface
* Pioneer D-Series Mids and Highs ( Fronts: TS-D1702C; Rears; TS-D1702R and Dash; TS-D1002R )
* Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 ( Mids and Highs Amp )
* DC 3.5k with Dual Inputs; Custom Plexiglass Backing ( Sub Amp )
* Rockford Fosgate Balanced Line Driver

* One FULLY LOADED ~ 10" DC m2 XL
* Custom Built Carpeted Ported Box Tuned to 32hz. Single Chamber With Volume of 1.44618³ ft ; 1.13216³ ft After Displacement
* Custom Built Carpeted Trunk Wall with Added Fans for Amplifier Cooling
* MechMan 240a High Output Alternator

* KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable RCA Cables
* Upgraded Electrical With 1/0 KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable and 1/0 Sky High Car Audio Cable
* Five Exide Orbital ORB34M Marine 12 Volt Batteries
* PowerMaster XS D3100 12 Volt Battery

My 2008 Chrysler 300 Limited - SuperCharged 3.5L V6 - UBL

My Old 2005 Ford Taurus - CarDomain - Vehicle Was Sold

I know this is a bit off topic but this is like the most confusing thing I ever seen on car audio forums with so different opinions... Do I set my subwoofer output level (on my headunit) to the maximum (+6) or at 0? Some say it is only an attenuation setting while others say it can cause clipping. But if it is only an attenuation setting, then why the default value is not the maximum?

If it's clean at +6, set it at +6. If it distorts/clips at that level, set it at 0

Pics of install?

At first it was suppose to be like this:

20130815_124023_zps325ca09b.jpg

But then, I ran out of wire from my amp to the terminals so I had to put it like this:

20130823_123258_zps81963bea.jpg

20130823_123336_zps341b38e5.jpg

I have a Sundown SA-12 D2 subwoofer, an Hifonics BRX1100.1D amplifier and a Pioneer DEH-X7500S headunit

RMS Power Rating (@ 14.4V):
  • 4 ohms: 450 watts x 1 chan.
  • 2 ohms: 800 watts x 1 chan.
  • 1 ohm: 1100 watts x 1 chan.

LOL it is not because it is rated at 800W @ 2 ohms that I cannot run it at 800W @ 1 ohm! The gain can be set to whatever you like you know... Anyway yeah I set my gain with a DMM to get 800W @ 1 ohm (I tested the box terminals resistance just to be sure and it was really showing ~1,1 ohm with the DMM). My gain was already set with the subwoofer output level (on the headunit) to the maximum (which is +6). But some told me that it would more possibly clip at that level so I consider to reset my gain the subwoofer output level at 0 with a -5 dB test tone (instead of 0 dB) and when I want to show off I will just have to crank the subwoofer output level.

SO...... are running it @ 1 ohm or not?? Also sub volume control should be set at max if its clean and undistorted. Sub volume control isn't a bass feature its voltage output for the rca's........... The more clean power on the rca's the loud it get with less volume needed.

Like the others have said its your box. The math on your enclosure is incorrect.

30"L x 16.5"W x 14"H = 3.09245cu ft

3.09245cu ft. is your volume and according to the picture with a 3"W x 12.5" H port...... You'd need 21.623" in length to meet the requirements to be tuned at 35hz. You posted a length of 14.25" + 21.75" ( 36" ). Which also isn't correct because you left off part of the port length (1.75" + .75" which is from the center of the port line to the front of the end of that port wall.)

Your posted length is actually 14.25" + 21.75" + 1.75" + .75" = 38.5"....................... which is like 28.04hz give or take.

So in closing if the information you provided is correct... Your giving the sub 1cu ft of space more than that recommended. As well as giving it 200 more watts than recommended. Bigger box is fine but not if your going to over power the sub. A smaller box is what's needed if your going to over power the sub.

You are wrong (by the way I said that mine was not exactly the same as the one shown in the picture, but similar). The tuning is really 35 hz. Also, with the port displacements, the second baffle displacement and the subwoofer displacement it is 2 cubic feet net. It is 3 cubic feet, but gross:

SundownSA-12Torres_zpsf3f77cc2.png

In this picture Torres does not consider the port displacement.

SundownSA-12SketchUp_zps8d53676f.png

But if you calculate the net volume directly (in orange), which is 12,125 * 24,75 * 12,5 + 3,375 * 5,75 * 12,5, you arrive at a volume without displacement of 3993,75 cubic inches. In cubic feet, it is equal to 2,3112. Now if you consider displacements, which is 2,3112 - 0,14 (subwoofer) - 0,137 (second baffle), you arrive at a net volume without port of 2,0342 cubic feet. Sundown recommandation: 2 cubic feet @ 35 hz. Voila.

Picture of the overall shape without the upper panel:

SundownSA-12SketchUp2_zps4a4e727d.png

Still waiting to hear what ohm load he is at. My advice would be to save your money and get a better amp and a new box. Look into aeroport instead of slot port. Dont be scared to give that sa-12 the beans bro. Im pushing 1k per sa-12 in a 4 cube aero with zero issue's.Your sa-12 will take every bit of what your amp has to offer. Especially if your still running stock electrical.

BMW 325i Kenwood KVT-647DVD

re xxx components

re 6.5 FR's

2 RE XXX 12's

2 US amps MD3D's

2 batcap 4k's

Archived