Second Skin Audio

Sundown SA-12: less powerful than I tought?

Golitan11

Gain position has literally NO bearing when you provide it, so don't. Saying,"my gain is set at the blah blah position" means nothing. The gain setting in your car for a desired voltage and your HU in question, will be different than in someone else's vehicle with a different HU So it has no substance and means nothing when you provide that info.

Setting gain properly with a scope or DD1 is the only way to check for clipped signal or distortion. So also mentioning where you play your HU doesn't matter since no one here, including yourself, can guess if your HU is putting out a clean signal at "45 out of 62". I believe you used a DMM, which is great for matching voltages but doesn't do much for knowing clip or distortion.

So to get the MOST out of your setup, get the gain adjusted correctly. Do you have pictures of your box and the install so we can see it?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

By the way what is the CHEAPEST way to detect clipping (like an oscilloscope or a DD-1 does)? I live in Canada (near Montreal, QC), so I believe there are not a lot of people available to test it for me here lol. I am pretty broke, so I want a way to do it that is not expensive. I found a post on another forum that says how to detect clipping without an oscilloscope and it seems to work from other users posts. Here is the link (first post, using the DMM technique):

http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=230478

What do you guys think? Is it a no sense technique or it is logical? Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

I lied, tuned to 34.99 hz, but your port is way too fucking big for 1 12", 19.35" per foot cubed, that woofer is damn near free-airing in that box, hence why your output sucks.

You should refrain from posting incorrect info like this. . .might want to study up on how a port works.

Hey now, fight nice ladies

I got the new version of Torres and the correct numbers input, and it shows that the tuning is correct, but there is way too much port area

Nothing wrong with peaky>bandwidth. Unless the op will throw gobs of power below or way above tuning

Isn't it a possibility that that's why he thinks it isn't as loud? Thank you for these posts, they have helped us all figure out the op's problem

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

They confuse the OP and spread false crap to anyone else who reads this thread looking for info.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

i hear ya, but i'm running 4 in about 9 cubes and around 3k and they seem to do just fine. But then again, i'm not going to build a 7cube box to compare, lol. I may gain or lose but who can tell right?

I can tell you from experience your box is way too big. The box I ran my 4 sa12s in was 6.5 cubes and would do 155s all day at 43hz. With a 9 cube box you are asking to break triple joints and tear surrounds on the sa sub's.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

OP for reference here is my sdc2.5 on 500 watts. full specs are in the video description.

2000 Toyota Camry With Sealed Off Trunk

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Gathering Parts For Wall Build.

Team DC Audio 2014 Member

They confuse the OP and spread false crap to anyone else who reads this thread looking for info.

Ok, you're right, I was posting up a possible issue, and don't tell me that it isn't a possible one. And next time please refrain from being a dick and singling me out, I was here to try to help, and you posting up dick comments just to be a dick doesn't help anyone, and it doesn't contribute to the problem solving

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

Archived