Sundown Audio

DC 2.0K amp guts and question

JesseyMclame

Okay so I just bought this 2k, and it's a beautiful amp. Internals look great, it's pretty heavy for it's size, and it's nice and sleek.

So, to ensure it worked, I hooked up my buddys 2 CVR 12s that were at a final impedance of 1 ohm, and hooked it up, bridged, to the amplifier.

It sounded really smooth, responsive and deep, but it just didn't seem like it had a crazy amount of power. I had an older BXI2010 hifonics 2k that was pretty loud for what it was, granted, the electrical that was behind the amp for the 2 cvr 12s was garbage, and I'm gonna have a deka intimidator, 2 stinger SPV 70s, all 0 gauge, and dunno bout sub stage yet. (more likely than not will be running a final impedance of .5), but my question is, are you supposed to bridge the amp externally, or run 1 sub to each channel ? Also, here are some gut pics. If anything doesn't look right, by all means chime in. But yeah, just wanted to make sure I'm hookin this amp up right, sorry for the rant lol. First quality amp I've ever had.

10ghcg1.jpg

116u8om.jpg

2meam93.jpg

2cmr7k9.jpg

Current setup in my 96 Hoe

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Amps - (4) Crossfire C5 1700D's, MTX Thunder 5604(mids), PPI Art 300.2 (tweets)

Batts - 4 91ah rear batts, 50ah batt up front.

Subs - 2 Crossfire XSv2 18's

Alt - Singer 330A

Front stage - Random JL & Eclipse mids, Eclipse tweets

Honestly I know I'm gonna get bashed for this lol, but I just turned it up gradually just to see how audibly loud it'd get. I wasn't worried about clipping those cvr's lol.

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Alt - Singer 330A

Honestly I know I'm gonna get bashed for this lol, but I just turned it up gradually just to see how audibly loud it'd get. I wasn't worried about clipping those cvr's lol.

you should be worried about throwing the amp into heavy clipping which is WAY worse. CVRs are easily replaced, a DC 2.0K is not. you might have not turned it far enough or too far, who knows. Set it right.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Okay. Just for the sake of learning, how does the amp sending a clipped signal, damage the amp ? I've read it will damage subs, but I didn't know it will damage the amp as well.

edit; I also am seriously thinking of buying a DD-1. It's just weird how setting the gain so low, from the tutorials I've seen at least, can give you the maximum amount of power. Of course, un-clipped power.

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Alt - Singer 330A

Okay. Just for the sake of learning, how does the amp sending a clipped signal, damage the amp ? I've read it will damage subs, but I didn't know it will damage the amp as well.

edit; I also am seriously thinking of buying a DD-1. It's just weird how setting the gain so low, from the tutorials I've seen at least, can give you the maximum amount of power. Of course, un-clipped power.

heat. heat is bad for electronics. and there is no "proper" way to set your gains except for a DD-1 or oscope.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Read and learn. A gain is not a volume knob.

http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Read and learn. A gain is not a volume knob.

http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm

That actually really helped me out, that def gives me more insight on how the gain works. I had an "idea" of how it worked, but this was super in depth, thank you!

it's a mono block amp, there is no "bridging" :)

And thank you, that also answered one of my questions.

heat. heat is bad for electronics. and there is no "proper" way to set your gains except for a DD-1 or oscope.

Perfect, thank you. I appreciate it ! Looks like I'm buying a DD-1 lol.

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Alt - Singer 330A

it's a mono block amp, there is no "bridging" :)

What he said

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Archived