Second Skin Audio

considering making a T-line enclosure..opinions?

1two3

There are quite a bit of songs that have notes that low, and having a t-line would allow you to enjoy those beautiful rumbles of the intestines.

But what I mean by meaning business is that in order to get the most out of certain equipment you need to upgrade the bottlenecks in your system. In your case the subsonic filter/amp is that.

not sure if u saw the post above stating that by "stuck" i meant non adjustable. it can be turned off however.

is this still a bottleneck? and how?

Car: 2000 Honda CRV

Battery: XS Power D5100R

Alternator: Stock 90A

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS

Front Speakers: Alpine Type S

Rear Speakers: JBL GTO 628's

Wires: All Knu 4g. Soon to be 0g. Big 3 in 0g

Volt Meter: SMD VM-1

Amps: Rockford Fosgate T400-2, T1000-1bdCP

Subs: 2 SSA XCON 15's Sealed

Tint: Privacy glass + 5% in the back and 25% in fronts

Doing a quick calculation, your max dimensions are too small to fit a proper t-line even if you build it as space efficiently as possible. The volume allowed by your dimensions is roughly 8.1 cubes and the minimum volume for the t-line for the xcon is 8.9 cubes using 3/4" wood with absolutely no wasted space in it which isn't very doable.

Depending on the amount of power you use, the roll-off frequency will change.

i can make it bigger id just rather not. how high would the box have to be for it to work? using 45's and bracing where needed.

and its a dual 2 so i can have it running at 1400 @1ohm or 800 @4ohms according to the birth sheet

I'm not sure, all I did was get the baseline volume that'd be required based on the Sd and the length that the line needs to be to match 1/4 wave of the Fs. Using 45's in the corners is going to dramatically increase the volume of the enclosure. The length and width are going to restrict the ability to come up with a decent design quite a bit; increasing the height is going to cause you to have to either incorporate a loading chamber to allow the mounting depth or you'll have to run the sub inverted.

If you're dead set on the idea, I can try to come up with something that would work but I'm not sure it'll be possible.

'79 El Camino

Skar VVX-10 in a t-line tuned to 26 Hz

Build log: Here

I built a t-line for a 12" DCON for my old dorm room. It played cleanly down to about 28hz, and I agree why would you even need to play lower? Mine was tuned at about 32-33hz and slammed on only 300 watts. I can do a design for you if you'd like as well. Check out my (half-finished) build log...never finished the log but the build was completed and I had the setup until I graduated from school. I'd go for it with a smaller woofer or if you can find more space

that box looks awesome man. sending u a pm with a couple questions about it.

Doing a quick calculation, your max dimensions are too small to fit a proper t-line even if you build it as space efficiently as possible. The volume allowed by your dimensions is roughly 8.1 cubes and the minimum volume for the t-line for the xcon is 8.9 cubes using 3/4" wood with absolutely no wasted space in it which isn't very doable.

i can make it bigger id just rather not. how high would the box have to be for it to work? using 45's and bracing where needed.

and its a dual 2 so i can have it running at 1400 @1ohm or 800 @4ohms according to the birth sheet

I'm not sure, all I did was get the baseline volume that'd be required based on the Sd and the length that the line needs to be to match 1/4 wave of the Fs. Using 45's in the corners is going to dramatically increase the volume of the enclosure. The length and width are going to restrict the ability to come up with a decent design quite a bit; increasing the height is going to cause you to have to either incorporate a loading chamber to allow the mounting depth or you'll have to run the sub inverted.

If you're dead set on the idea, I can try to come up with something that would work but I'm not sure it'll be possible.

say no more....it was just another one of those stupid ideas of mine. sub/box will just have to be too big. maybe if i come across a smaller woofer i will try it out down the road.

thanks though!

say no more....it was just another one of those stupid ideas of mine. sub/box will just have to be too big. maybe if i come across a smaller woofer i will try it out down the road.

thanks though!

A t-line is never a stupid idea lol. If you ever do and you want to run your ideas by someone else, I'll be glad to help out.

It's not a problem, I'm just glad some people are getting interested in transmission lines.

'79 El Camino

Idd turn off subsonic

And run at 4ohm because you need all the control you can of the cone In a t-line

Personally give it a go

If your out buy 3-5hz don't stress to much

Because you can always drop the sq" down 0.00xx to give you desired hz

And when you do the calc go by the cone and not the outside or centre of the surround

If it really can't be persuaded to be moved to the "off" position, then what happens is that the filter is depending on what "order" it is will either cause a slop down to -12db, 24db, or higher per octave. So it doesn't just effect that frequency and below, it also lowers the notes above the filter too.

Edit: Sorry I left and forgot the rest of where I was going with that. So just posted it.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

thanks though!

A t-line is never a stupid idea lol. If you ever do and you want to run your ideas by someone else, I'll be glad to help out.

It's not a problem, I'm just glad some people are getting interested in transmission lines.

U might be hearing from Me soon. I really wanna try one out, my buddy's got an icon 12 he's not using I think so I might throw that puppy in my car just to try it out :)

U might be hearing from Me soon. I really wanna try one out, my buddy's got an icon 12 he's not using I think so I might throw that puppy in my car just to try it out :)

Just shoot me a pm and we'll get something figured out whenever you're ready. They're definitely something you don't see too often which is surprising with how efficient they can be (except for space wise lol).

'79 El Camino

Steua great build dude had to check it out while waiting for this thread to develop...1two3 the icon would be a great woofer for a t-line; low power subs are monsters in qwtlines

masterbation is free, and even saves you money.sorry but someone had to say it

sorry, Jimmy...beat you to it (no pun intended)

LOLDON'T get a wife. Best advice I never got, and now it's too late <_<

My build: 12" DCON in a dorm room.

New/current build: 8" woofer, custom amplifier block, fiberglassed speaker pods

Archived