2010 Mazda 3

*Rebuild Time*

Subs - (2) AA Mayhems 12's
Sub amp - (1) Populus Audio TPA 6500
Headunit - Pioneer App Radio 2

Batteries - XS Power (1) D3100 up front | 6 XP950 rear

Wire - Sky High 1/0 Gauge wires and RCA's and steve's VM1

Alternator - Singer 260 Externally Regulated

Front Stage: (2) PRV Audio 10W650A (4) PRV Audio 8MR500-PhP-4 (4) DS Bullet Tweets | (2) 6.5 Components (Rear doors)

Mids & high Amp : (2) Populus Audio 100.4

Processor: Rockford 3sixty.3

The Build Log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/175922-2010-mazda-3-2-aa-mayhems-12-pg14-new-video/page-11

flakosignature1-1_zps0751010a.png

Probably a stupid question but why do the newer designs have a pointed part in the center of the motor while the older ones are flat?

its the extended pole piece, my recollection is that's its there to keep the coil centered when the coil leaves the gap because these are super high xmax motors, and also stop the coil from bottoming out , the dustcap will hit this before the coil hits the backplate.

im sure Jacob will chime in to correct me where needed or if im way out :P

Edited by 1clio6

Probably a stupid question but why do the newer designs have a pointed part in the center of the motor while the older ones are flat?

its the extended pole piece, my recollection is that's its there to keep the coil centered when the coil leaves the gap because these are super high xmax motors, and also stop the coil from bottoming out , the dustcap will hit this before the coil hits the backplate.

I could be wrong, but I believe the main purpose is cooling. It helps dissipate more heat.

Also the dust cap is not gonna stop anything, if it hits it then you will likely need a new dust cap.

And I don't think that's even capable of happening, even with the extreme amount of travel those subs have, b/c of the design of the frame.

Hopefully Jacob will clear this up, cause I could be dead wrong. But I don't think so.

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Thanks for noticing :) We started using that piece on the SA series back in 2009 -- it is both an air-flow director and a shorting ring as it's made from aluminum. We started implementing it on pretty much all of our higher powered drivers since introducing it on the SA series.

The pole piece is also greatly extended on all of the new motors so the coil isn't damaged when it leaves the physical gap -- as was mentioned earlier; the new suspension won't hold the coil back from moving beyond the physical gap.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

I could be wrong, but I believe the main purpose is cooling. It helps dissipate more heat.

Also the dust cap is not gonna stop anything, if it hits it then you will likely need a new dust cap.

And I don't think that's even capable of happening, even with the extreme amount of travel those subs have, b/c of the design of the frame.

Hopefully Jacob will clear this up, cause I could be dead wrong. But I don't think so.

I was 50% correct haha

cant remember where I have seen it or read it, but its been used before. replacing a dustcap is not very expensive, replacing a coil is a bit more costly so It sort of made sense in my head when I seen it. but thinking about it now, yes the new basket design would step the cone to far away for the dustcap to be in the range of hitting the pole piece. .

Edited by 1clio6

• 5 months later...