Second Skin Audio

Two 8's or one 12 for SQ build? (not for competitions)

NathanW

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Those Focal 8's do look nice. It's not that they are out of my price range, just more than I would like to spend. And I'm thinking I would need to hear them first before making such an investment. And I'd probably want to compare them to other similarly priced 8's just to be sure.

As far as pics go I'll try to get some posted either tonight or sometime tomorrow, about to start a 12h shift so no time at the moment. It's going in a 02 Hyundai Sonata though if that helps.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions!

'99 Chevy Blazer 4 door 4x4

HU: Pioneer, DEH-80PRS

Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Legatia L3v2 and Dayton Audio Reference 7" mid-bass

Sub Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Clarus C12SW-D2 in a 30hz quarterwave transmission line (plays down to 17hz!)

Amplifier: Addictive Audio 7.4+35.1

Processor: Zapco DSP-Z8

As I research 8" SQ subs I find very little middle-ground. They all seem to be under $200 each (and not very good) or $800+ each. Is there a middle-ground that is worth considering or are the only good 8's high end?

Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Legatia L3v2 and Dayton Audio Reference 7" mid-bass

Sub Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Clarus C12SW-D2 in a 30hz quarterwave transmission line (plays down to 17hz!)

you were considering the JBLW12GTI, why not also consider W10GTI? it is a great SQ sub as well, and requires less space/box size, if you choose not to go with the two 8's of course.

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

I was considering the W10GTi as well but I can get the W12GTi for the same price so it seemed like a better option. I could always go with two W10GTi's but that would be a lot of over-kill.

I've been looking at the Focal P21 V2 8" subs but I haven't been able to find many reviews on them. I'd like to keep cost down to around $600-700 for drivers but I may be willing to consider spending more for the right sub(s).

I was considering the W10GTi as well but I can get the W12GTi for the same price so it seemed like a better option. I could always go with two W10GTi's but that would be a lot of over-kill.

I've been looking at the Focal P21 V2 8" subs but I haven't been able to find many reviews on them. I'd like to keep cost down to around $600-700 for drivers but I may be willing to consider spending more for the right subs.

To the Focal sub´s. You stated you wan t to use them for personal listening. If you are the guy, who have @ home a $$$$$ homeaudio and the ear´s for it, go with them.

Otherwise go with the lower priced options.

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

Okay, I've narrowed down my search to Focal Polyglass 21 v2 8" (2 on rear deck) or Morel Ultimo SC 122 12" (1 in trunk) or Morel Ultimo 122 12" (1 in trunk). So now I have two questions.

Would the sound quality really be better with subs on the rear deck or is trunk mounting fine for SQ?

And my second question is, would the higher end Ultimo be a decent improvement over the SC version or are they more or less splitting hairs being similar designs?

To be clear either rear deck or trunk mount will be in sealed enclosures around .7 Q.

Thanks for all the help!

Archived