Second Skin Audio

Two 8's or one 12 for SQ build? (not for competitions)

NathanW

Just looking for a little advice. I'm putting together a system based around SQ for personal listening. I've currently got a set of MB Quart QS216 components up front run by a Pioneer DEH-80PRS. I don't have amps or subs yet but I'm planning on going with two 2ch amps for an active front stage (one amp per channel for the best channel separation) and a mono-block for the sub(s).

So I'm thinking I either want to go with two 8's mounted under the rear deck in a custom box or a single 12 behind the rear seat also in a custom box. I know 8's can be very good for the upper bass range but would they be able to get down to 20hz with about 110db clean output? Either way they will be in sealed enclosures and I'm thinking of making them trapezoidal in shape to counter standing waves within the boxes.

The two subs I've been looking at are the Sundown SA-8v2 and JBL W12GTi MkII.

Any advice would be appreciated and additional sub recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

'99 Chevy Blazer 4 door 4x4

HU: Pioneer, DEH-80PRS

Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Legatia L3v2 and Dayton Audio Reference 7" mid-bass

Sub Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Clarus C12SW-D2 in a 30hz quarterwave transmission line (plays down to 17hz!)

Amplifier: Addictive Audio 7.4+35.1

Processor: Zapco DSP-Z8

With what you have and if you only plane on front stage keeping the budget low as $$$ is unknown

Amp for front

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_44472_MB-Quart-ONX2.100.html

Amp for sub

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_44471_MB-Quart-ONX1.2000D.html

Sub

http://www.emfcaraudio.com/sundown-audio-x10-dual-4/

Pre order

In a custom ported box (at 2ohm)

Idd just do the 1x 10" ported

As buy what you have written I think you leaning towards sealed

And the 12" sealed should be close to 10" ported

SA 8 arent SQ sub´s, the JBL idk.

ok brother ... please let me explain. I never said that Sundown products are not good for Sound Quality, it's just the I would never use them in a SQ vehicle (personal preference only). Now the reason That I said this is for our pure Sound Quality applications where major volume is not an issue, Meaning tighter suspensions would not produce those very delicate frequiency responses like the drivers we use will ...

For an every day musical sub driver, Yes, I think they are great and would recommend them if I was not sopnsored. Most subs (like the SAs) have really tight suspension setups and that makes it very hard for a dynamic amplifier to reproduce those those stand up bass instruments you very commonly hear in Sound Quality music and when time aligned correctly ... make you have a sence of "Up front and on the dash" bass response ...

Honnestly ... if Cerwin Vega still made the "origional" strokers ... That's all I would use for Sound Quality and SPL ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

SA 8 arent SQ sub´s, the JBL idk.

ok brother ... please let me explain. I never said that Sundown products are not good for Sound Quality, it's just the I would never use them in a SQ vehicle (personal preference only). Now the reason That I said this is for our pure Sound Quality applications where major volume is not an issue, Meaning tighter suspensions would not produce those very delicate frequiency responses like the drivers we use will ...

For an every day musical sub driver, Yes, I think they are great and would recommend them if I was not sopnsored. Most subs (like the SAs) have really tight suspension setups and that makes it very hard for a dynamic amplifier to reproduce those those stand up bass instruments you very commonly hear in Sound Quality music and when time aligned correctly ... make you have a sence of "Up front and on the dash" bass response ...

Honnestly ... if Cerwin Vega still made the "origional" strokers ... That's all I would use for Sound Quality and SPL ...

??? I know as well that the SA 8 for what it be usebale producing a good sound. The OP stated that he want a SQ based build for music.

That is why i stated that the SA sub isn´t what a SQ sub is. And it´s difficult to guess from Germany and american what SQáble sub he can get for

arround the same budget.

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

I understand Sir ... I just didn't want to aggrivate you in any way ... Thats all

My apologies if I did.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

So I'm thinking I either want to go with two 8's mounted under the rear deck in a custom box or a single 12 behind the rear seat also in a custom box. I know 8's can be very good for the upper bass range but would they be able to get down to 20hz with about 110db clean output?

jncis jncispsat psatasvab practice test asvab practice testpcat pcatccda ccda

So I'm thinking I either want to go with two 8's mounted under the rear deck in a custom box or a single 12 behind the rear seat also in a custom box. I know 8's can be very good for the upper bass range but would they be able to get down to 20hz with about 110db clean output?

Start your own thread rather than threadjack. Someone will help you :D

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I think he copied that from the origional post in this thread ... LOL

Archived