So I picked up a set of shortys for my '05 silverado with the 6.0 and my hopes are that I'll be able to paint them with a high temp enamel and either cure them off the vehicle (in the oven maybe?) or that bolting them up and running it will cure the paint. Plan of attack is to sandblast the protective shipping paint off and high temp prime and paint with VHT which I believe needs to be baked/cured before installation. Anybody have any tricks/tips to the process? Suggestions of paint better than VHT?

Never painted mine as i believe they are SS

Word of advice.. Do the proper "break in" procedure for them or youll never get them to seal

Good call. I got a set of steel gaskets as well as the paper ones that come with. I planned to use the steel ones i've heard the paper ones that come with these just burn up. buddy of mine has the same set but for his dodge. Steels over papers?

Ceramic?

That would need to be baked on to cure right? I've never messed with any high temp/ceramic paints.

yea, it needs to be baked, like powder coating.

Problem is with powder or ceramic, you cant really apply product and put them on the vehicle hoping to cure them, because you will just have the product fall off trying to bolt them on.

They do make some DIY kits, and a kitchen oven is enough heat, as long as your part fits in there.

if it was me, ceramic coating all the way, its a tougher application. and can help keep some heat out of the engine bay.

Shouldn't be a problem to fit them into the oven. May have to do one at a time but that's not a big deal. Definitely gonna check into the ceramic coating then instead. thanks for the help/tips fellas.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a set of headers for my 92' F150. I had them stripped professionally and then painted them with Rustoleum High Heat paint and primer. Good to 2000*. I have not yet installed them so they are not cured yet, but I am going to do it on the vehicle. I will let you know how it goes. Ceramic coating was too much for me, more than the headers in fact, and the only local place had a 2 month turn around time.

img_1225.jpg

img_1227.jpg

Archived