Computer gurus, WTF ???

So recently I had to move. Biggest PITA in life, right ?

My PC was down for about 10 days. So after I got it moved, and everything hooked back up, I plug it in, and it just turns on, and starts trying to boot up, totally by itself ! I hadn't even hit the start button ? Worse yet, it only ran for about 20 seconds... not long enough to actually boot up... then it shuts off by itself too ! So while I'm sitting there wondering WTF ? It starts up again ! .....goes for a minute or two, and "almost" finishes booting up... then shuts off again :(

So I just unplug the thing. Plug it back in, and before it could try to start on its own, I start it. It starts normally, boots all the way up. I manage to get online.... and Bam. It shuts off again :(

By now I'm figuring I'm just fawked. But it was interesting to me, that each time I tried to start it, it would stay on a little longer, and let me do more.

So I tried it once more.... That was 3 days ago, and it has ran totally fine ever since ? I did start to get a little paranoid about the PC shutting down by itself (hibernation mode) then maybe not wanting to start back up again, so I disabled the hibernation feature.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, being a complete PC dummy, if I was forced to make a guess, it seemed kind of like a power supply issue ? Like, it has a crack in the coils, which when cold, separates by a few thousandths, and does not supply enough juice.... but as it got warmed up (from repeated attempts to start it) it finally closed that gap, and now works fine ? Possible ? .....and for how long ?

Do I have problems coming soon ? How to diagnose it, now that its working fine ???

Hmmmm.

Thanks in advance,

Peace,

Fish

Welcome back man!

What happened to your other account?

I'm thinking the same thing lol. But Chris I'm also leaning towards post supply. Only time I've ever seen a computer turn on all by itself was when I messed with my power supply and it stopped working properly.
On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

yeah if you have a switch on the power supply turn it off then plug it in then turn the switch back on.also check an see about the input voltage for the power supply

11part.jpg

see where the red switch is thats input voltage I'm talking about set it to 115v if its not.

02 dodge ram 1500 reg cab 3rd gen

2 sundown sd-2 d4

soundstream rub1.2500 amp

all sky high car audio-fuse,fuse holder,wire,ring lugs and rca

flex tech

box design by Joe X

supension-mcgaughys 2in drop spindal ,western chassis 6in flip kit,buddy custom c-notch

04 5.7l hemi motor swap and made it an slt eletric everthing

youtube channel-http://www.youtube.c...43?feature=mhee

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/190882-02-dodge-ram-1500-3rd-gen/

you could shut down the PC ... unplug it ... hold down the power button while it's unplugged for about 30-60 sec .... plug it back it in and see whats up

So recently I had to move. Biggest PITA in life, right ?

My PC was down for about 10 days. So after I got it moved, and everything hooked back up, I plug it in, and it just turns on, and starts trying to boot up, totally by itself ! I hadn't even hit the start button ? Worse yet, it only ran for about 20 seconds... not long enough to actually boot up... then it shuts off by itself too ! So while I'm sitting there wondering WTF ? It starts up again ! .....goes for a minute or two, and "almost" finishes booting up... then shuts off again :(

So I just unplug the thing. Plug it back in, and before it could try to start on its own, I start it. It starts normally, boots all the way up. I manage to get online.... and Bam. It shuts off again :(

By now I'm figuring I'm just fawked. But it was interesting to me, that each time I tried to start it, it would stay on a little longer, and let me do more.

So I tried it once more.... That was 3 days ago, and it has ran totally fine ever since ? I did start to get a little paranoid about the PC shutting down by itself (hibernation mode) then maybe not wanting to start back up again, so I disabled the hibernation feature.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, being a complete PC dummy, if I was forced to make a guess, it seemed kind of like a power supply issue ? Like, it has a crack in the coils, which when cold, separates by a few thousandths, and does not supply enough juice.... but as it got warmed up (from repeated attempts to start it) it finally closed that gap, and now works fine ? Possible ? .....and for how long ?

Do I have problems coming soon ? How to diagnose it, now that its working fine ???

Hmmmm.

Thanks in advance,

Peace,

Fish

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

Re-seat the power supply imo. Should fix that. Make sure your power supply is turned off when you plug it back in!

Edit: my autism didnt read the whole post to see you fixed it haha

Well, I didn't really "fix it".... it kind of just fixed itself :) LOL But with the general consensus here being > the power supply, if it starts trying to tweak on me again, that would be my first thing to try.

Thanks again guys.

Peace,

Fish

If it happened after you moved, I'm guessing you just have to reseat your ram. just pop the side off and push it in tighter.

Beaker, that is a good possibility too. This PC was built 4 years ago, and I still remember it was kind of tough, getting the Ram seated all the way in. Really tight.... then, it hadn't been moved since it was built. So that would be another thing to check. But its day 4 now, and no more issues :)

Peace,

Fish

Archived