A-Pillar Speaker Placement for Sound Quality?

Wicks

and as for tweeters ... Those sail pannels are talking to me, not the A-pillars

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Ok I'll look into the 9990, I'm not especially attached to the 6990 anyway.

But I was contemplating the move to an in dash tablet or something similar and getting away from head units that go obsolete after a short while anyway.

It'd be an iPod mini or something smaller that would integrate into the dash cleanly.

I've even thought about a "carputer" so I can try some other tricks up my sleeve but we'll see.

Anyway more to think about...

Just 2way huh? So the 6.5's in the doors?

I know simple is better but I'm worried about the mid bass and whether that would properly bridge between the DC XL12's.?

Right now with my HSK130's (5 1/4"), I have a big lack of mid bass and rock music sounds crappy.

Could be due to my open stock door panels though.

Ok, sail panel is new to me.

Online people are referring to all kinds of parts as sail panels.

I'm assuming its the triangle next to the rear view mirrors?

So basically just bumping up my tweeters from the stock location (uppermiddle of the door) to the very top of the doors...

That could actually be a lot better since I have airbags in the a-pillars that I was dreading to mess with.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Ok I'll look into the 9990, I'm not especially attached to the 6990 anyway.

But I was contemplating the move to an in dash tablet or something similar and getting away from head units that go obsolete after a short while anyway.

It'd be an iPod mini or something smaller that would integrate into the dash cleanly.

I've even thought about a "carputer" so I can try some other tricks up my sleeve but we'll see.

Anyway more to think about...

Cool then ... either way, get something with good time alignment, EQ, and crossover capabillities ...

No need to process good clean signal ...

Just 2way huh? So the 6.5's in the doors?

I know simple is better but I'm worried about the mid bass and whether that would properly bridge between the DC XL12's.?

Right now with my HSK130's (5 1/4"), I have a big lack of mid bass and rock music sounds crappy.

Could be due to my open stock door panels though.

Ok, sail panel is new to me.

Online people are referring to all kinds of parts as sail panels.

I'm assuming its the triangle next to the rear view mirrors?

So basically just bumping up my tweeters from the stock location (uppermiddle of the door) to the very top of the doors...

That could actually be a lot better since I have airbags in the a-pillars that I was dreading to mess with.

after looking ... there is a couple of things you could do here ...

you could make you a couple of tweeter dash pods and mount them on ax - axis to the driver listening position ... on the dash as close to the winshield / A-pillar area as possible ... This while sounds great for stage and image, requires alot of time alignment and EQ ...

Yes, the sail pannels are those triangle things on top of the doors ... you will have to experiment with angles to see what sounds better to you ...

In the stock locations ... on the inside of the door pannels, you can re-angle your tweeters to sound better ... time alignment and EQ will halp ...

OK, heres the kicker (so to speak) ... rule of thumb, if you go passive, you want the tweeters and midbass drivers to be as close to each other as possible to make a seemless trancation between frequiencies ... but if you go active, you will have the capabilities to time align your drivers spearately ... meaning you would need 4 channels of amplification for this application ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

... and it sounds like the first thing you need to do (if possible) is to upgrade to 6.5" midbass drivers in your doors ...

Be sure to brace, sound deaden, and air tight seal your doors accordingly ...

... and it sounds like the first thing you need to do (if possible) is to upgrade to 6.5" midbass drivers in your doors ...

Be sure to brace, sound deaden, and air tight seal your doors accordingly ...

Thanks Randal, great info! :good:

Looks like I'm in for a lot of testing.....

When doing all the EQ work, how important is an RTA?

Would that speed things up when trying to eliminate peaks or do you just use your ears?

I'd be worried that I wouldn't know what to listen for when tuning with this much detail.

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

RTA needed ??? Yes, but later in the tuning process once you have tuned your ears fro critical listening ...

... And once you've caught the SQ bug, you will be suprised at what your ears can tune to ... Start out with everything flat (and I mean EVERYTHING) ...

Wonderful car and nice equipments too ! Keep the Bimma stock looking if you can :)

You seem to be in good hands, now.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

popcorn.gif.pagespeed.ce.SLEhW-ceu5.gif following this thread closely

Did you get that scar tissue when you got your vagina installed?

KNOWLEDGE DESTROYS FEAR Measure twice, cut once

JVC touchscreen HU Mmats E600.4

Realm L56c Audiophile 6.5 comps up front JBL P963 rear deck PB RTA 112 trunk CE Auto Big 3 Mechman 240alt D'Amore VM-1

RTA needed ??? Yes, but later in the tuning process once you have tuned your ears fro critical listening ...

... And once you've caught the SQ bug, you will be suprised at what your ears can tune to ... Start out with everything flat (and I mean EVERYTHING) ...

Hmm

Wouldn't I want an RTA right away and flatten out any peaks before tuning and speaker positioning?

I could have my settings flat, but I can still get peaks from cabin gain and reflections and whatnot.

Wouldn't those peaks affect imaging and stage....or no? :shrug:

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:

Archived