Sonic Electronix

getting metered for first time, anything to know?

As the topic states, I'm going tomorrow to get metered for the first time ( termlab). Is there anything i should do or watch for?

basically, should i do a sealed dash run? what about a open dash run? or is it just up to me?

also, what about playing a sweeping tone? or just play what music i think sounds loudest?

My build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143943-2001-mustang-gt-system-rebuild-box-build-pics-updated-61512/

2001 Ford Mustang GT

4.6 SOHC 380HP

270 amp Mechman alt

2 12" Treo SSX custom built.

6.47 cu ft, tuned to 32Hz

2 hifonics Brutus 2400.1, strapped

1 optima yellow top

1 Kinetic HC1800

14.4v @ 29Hz, 2k RPM

over 100ft 1/0 XS flex wire

Big 3 in 1/0

100sq ft fatmat deadener

145.3 on music, 142.6 sealed on music

Stop being a pussy and wall it off.

I hate when my google breaks too

I think the usps must be ran by a bunch of drunk ass oriental midget monkey's on methamphetamines.

I would do a run sealed on the dash.

Play a sweep, find your peak and play it a tone of your peak.

Usually most cars are louder with the passenger seat down.

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

depends what you wanna know.. if you just want the loudest number put it in the kick panel and go from there.. if you're just testing trying doors open and closed.. play with seat position , move the box around..

all depends how much time you have to play with it

and do a sweep to get you close... then burp a couple frequencies up and down of where you peak on the sweep along with where you peaked

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

depends what you wanna know.. if you just want the loudest number put it in the kick panel and go from there.. if you're just testing trying doors open and closed.. play with seat position , move the box around..

all depends how much time you have to play with it

and do a sweep to get you close... then burp a couple frequencies up and down of where you peak on the sweep along with where you peaked

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

I would do a sealed on the dash test. Then do a sweep of tones and find your peak. After that do a burp and there is your higest number then I would find my loudest song and get metered with that sealed on the dash also.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

O also make sure you keep your rpm at about 2k and make sure your volume is as high as you can have it with out distorting.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Im about to enter a comp this weekend and have never been metered. Im doing a 30 second run wifh music in one class and burping in another. How should I go about burping it? I was thinking about playing some sine waves from 36-46hz and picking the 4hz range that sounds loudest to my ear and then burping those 4 tones in my 30 seconds. Does that sound like a solid plan? How long should I do each burp?

@ the OP;

if i was in your shoes, id want to know what music i can play, play loud and safe. TL will show you that. I prefer sealed on the dash, as well as windows down, for fun. I demo with pass side down, because it unloads like a bitch that way.

CHANCE- your doing bass race, and DB drag.

For both, you want to know your peak. Peak burp for dbdrag, and peak for a 30 second music run.

Im set up at -7.5db for music clean to 62 on the deck.

For tones (burping) i use 0db. Im clean to 49.

So, on bass race, i pick a song, with a constant(ish) note at a HZ i know i wang at. (i still dont know my best of the best, but its around 33, i think)

Then on db drag, im clean to 49 on the deck. Put a clean 33hz tone on it, and let it eat. You get 30 seconds there also. So, hell, start 3 or 4 tones down from your

"thought of peak" and play that one, once the meter puts up your score, go to the next track. (id highly suggest you have a seperate thumb drive for comps. File for clean tones, and file for clean loud songs, thats how i do it anyway)

Go early, and if the guys are even cool at all, they will let you meter to run some sweeps, to at least give you a idea...

Good luck to both of you..... Let us know how you do...

@ the OP;

if i was in your shoes, id want to know what music i can play, play loud and safe. TL will show you that. I prefer sealed on the dash, as well as windows down, for fun. I demo with pass side down, because it unloads like a bitch that way.

CHANCE- your doing bass race, and DB drag.

For both, you want to know your peak. Peak burp for dbdrag, and peak for a 30 second music run.

Im set up at -7.5db for music clean to 62 on the deck.

For tones (burping) i use 0db. Im clean to 49.

So, on bass race, i pick a song, with a constant(ish) note at a HZ i know i wang at. (i still dont know my best of the best, but its around 33, i think)

Then on db drag, im clean to 49 on the deck. Put a clean 33hz tone on it, and let it eat. You get 30 seconds there also. So, hell, start 3 or 4 tones down from your

"thought of peak" and play that one, once the meter puts up your score, go to the next track. (id highly suggest you have a seperate thumb drive for comps. File for clean tones, and file for clean loud songs, thats how i do it anyway)

Go early, and if the guys are even cool at all, they will let you meter to run some sweeps, to at least give you a idea...

Good luck to both of you..... Let us know how you do...

Thanks alot! I plan on having a thumb drive with 10 to 20 songs that get loud, and tones from 36-46. When running a sweep do I just switch from track to track or do I download an audio file that sweeps through tthe HZ quickly? Thanks again for all your help.

Archived