Disappointment, or Nothing to Worry About (Hairpin Pics Inside)

The cnc the front case's out of a solid chunk of aluminum and the rear case is a stock case that is put on a mill to have some material removed. The rear case is melt forged and gets air pockets in it when they are made. when you machine them down some of the air pockets are exposed. This is totally normal and every alt I have gotten from them (8 or so) has some imperfections like yours has. I can take some pictures of mine tomorrow. They dont even have to machine the rear cases as the front would match up just fine but they take the extra step to ensure good cooling, airflow and matching the front case as well as possible. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

Kevin

*** SuperSeller Status Verified *** ( http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers/ )

"kevosinn's" astro van
8 custom Sundown Zv4 18's
4 Sundown scv 6000's
CNF Distribution CNC parts
Skyhigh wire

some batteries

SMD Meters and tools used on the install
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/172877-kevosinns-vanwest-coast-skyhigh-car-audio-vehicle/

16,000 watt walled silverado build.
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161965-walled-silverado-4-hdc4-15s-4-crescendo-3500s-and-much-more/

8,000 watt 1999 Subaru legacy outback. Build log here: http://www.stevemead...ru/page__st__60

TEAM CNF Distribution

I wouldn't wait a month for an alternator. That tells me the company is either too busy for their staff, too broke to buy parts or too disinterested in customer service to inspect their parts before sending them out.

I'm sure there are other reasons they may have delayed delivery but frankly, I would be suspicious of them.

I stated that I had no problem waiting, I never rush quality work.

it has nothing to do with the alt being one with "defects" or one without. you can pick up any rear case and it looks just like that. as I said they could leave it completely alone and charge just as much but they take the extra step....

*** SuperSeller Status Verified *** ( http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers/ )

"kevosinn's" astro van
8 custom Sundown Zv4 18's
4 Sundown scv 6000's
CNF Distribution CNC parts
Skyhigh wire

some batteries

SMD Meters and tools used on the install
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/172877-kevosinns-vanwest-coast-skyhigh-car-audio-vehicle/

16,000 watt walled silverado build.
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161965-walled-silverado-4-hdc4-15s-4-crescendo-3500s-and-much-more/

8,000 watt 1999 Subaru legacy outback. Build log here: http://www.stevemead...ru/page__st__60

TEAM CNF Distribution

The cnc the front case's out of a solid chunk of aluminum and the rear case is a stock case that is put on a mill to have some material removed. The rear case is melt forged and gets air pockets in it when they are made. when you machine them down some of the air pockets are exposed. This is totally normal and every alt I have gotten from them (8 or so) has some imperfections like yours has. I can take some pictures of mine tomorrow. They dont even have to machine the rear cases as the front would match up just fine but they take the extra step to ensure good cooling, airflow and matching the front case as well as possible. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

Kevin

I really appreciate this, as it is the type of relevant feedback I was hoping for

Guest DC Power Kyle

rockFord_Expedition, if the case is bugging you that much shoot me a PM with your real name and I will get an RMA tag sent to your e-mail for us to put another rear case on it that doesn't have such a big void.

rockFord_Expedition, if the case is bugging you that much shoot me a PM with your real name and I will get an RMA tag sent to your e-mail for us to put another rear case on it that doesn't have such a big void.

I appreciate it, and I may but so far it looks like this is a result of the manufacturing process and is quite normal.

The two parts with blemishes won't be seen by anyone looking under my hood, so I think I will just be happy as long as it performs as it should. You've already done me a solid when I made my order and wouldn't want to become a PITA over it. I just wanted to see what the norm is for this sort of thing since I have never purchased an aftermarket HO alt before.

I appreciate it man!

Guest DC Power Kyle

I appreciate it, and I may but so far it looks like this is a result of the manufacturing process and is quite normal.

The two parts with blemishes won't be seen by anyone looking under my hood, so I think I will just be happy as long as it performs as it should. You've already done me a solid when I made my order and wouldn't want to become a PITA over it. I just wanted to see what the norm is for this sort of thing since I have never purchased an aftermarket HO alt before.

I appreciate it man!

Understandable. You'll love the unit. Let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

I wouldn't wait a month for an alternator. That tells me the company is either too busy for their staff, too broke to buy parts or too disinterested in customer service to inspect their parts before sending them out.

I'm sure there are other reasons they may have delayed delivery but frankly, I would be suspicious of them.

But it's ok to wait a month for a subwoofer to be machined from Fi? We do the same process as them, how are we "too broke" to buy parts when we have to run CNC machine to make parts out of solid T6061 Aluminum Slugs. It's called high demand and nothing we can do about it. When you fit as many applications as we do and have over a hundred different aluminum frames depending on what vehicle you order for, it's very hard to keep every single frame on the shelf at all times.

No, it's not okay to me to wait a month for anything that simple to manufacture. High quality homes can be site built in 90 days and a ton of home builders are building ten to twenty of them at a time. If demand is that high, it makes economical sense to ramp up staff to meet that demand, lest a certain amount of the market will seek other vendors.

If you're suffering wait times for raw materials then I understand. Or, if you're distilling whiskey and you've had a run on your best product, I understand. I'm sure there are other legitimate reasons I would understand but, telling me other manufacturers are slow or telling me the materials you use aren't two of them.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

I use to die cast with aluminum, and results kyle speaks of are the truth, the only way you would notice that damage before hand is xraying each piece as it comes out of the machine and cools down. I worked for 3 different companies all as a diecaster and toolroom, none of them checked every piece, the majority of parts checked was 1 piece every hour. Except for when I was at Est company and they took their harley davidson parts and kohler engine parts dead serious and they tested a part every 30 minutes. but still in that 30 minutess that was 40-50 parts i made. Ive die casted parts from ford transmisions and bellhousings to john deere engine components, cummings valve covers, chair bases, harley motor jugs and transmission casings, tecumseh enging blocks, briggs piston rods and other various parts

Also these defects can come into play when your alloy temp gets too hot or cold, if your die is too cold from over spraying, or even something simple like a piece of flashing stuck in an unseen place. There is nothing dc power can do about the defects once machined, and chances are if they toss every piece like that, you would get 1 good piece out of 15.

What kyle is explaining is the same thing with the cheap $30-50 birch wood people buy that is plywood with a top and bottom 1mm thick birch veneer that does nothing strength wise, and when dealing with plywood you get knots in the wood. Sure you may check all edges of that sheet of wood when you buy it, but when you make a cut into the piece and all of a sudden an unseen knot is showing....

Archived