Sundown Audio

Quick question that confuses me

David Bailey

Ok, so I am running an Mmats E600.4 channel amp on 4 JBL 6x9s now. I want to ditch those, and run a better pair of 6.5 comps just up front. The amp is rated 60 x 4rms @4ohm stereo. So what ohm & rms speaker should I be looking at if I only wanted to run 2, and get the most out of that amp? It is 2 ohm stereo stable. Oh, and how would I wire that also?

Did you get that scar tissue when you got your vagina installed?

KNOWLEDGE DESTROYS FEAR Measure twice, cut once

JVC touchscreen HU Mmats E600.4

Realm L56c Audiophile 6.5 comps up front JBL P963 rear deck PB RTA 112 trunk CE Auto Big 3 Mechman 240alt D'Amore VM-1

And will dropping it to 2ohm bring in distortion? I don't want that since it is on my front end.

Did you get that scar tissue when you got your vagina installed?

KNOWLEDGE DESTROYS FEAR Measure twice, cut once

JVC touchscreen HU Mmats E600.4

Realm L56c Audiophile 6.5 comps up front JBL P963 rear deck PB RTA 112 trunk CE Auto Big 3 Mechman 240alt D'Amore VM-1

If each speaker is being run on its own channel then you should look at your amps lowest ohm rating and find some speakers that are the same impedance . For example if your amp does let's say 150 at 2 ohms x 4 then you should get the lowest impedance speakers if you want more power but I would suggest just run them at 4 ohms for better cleaner sound even though its gonna be less power to each speaker but you probably won't notice a big difference

Yes it will add some slight distortion and put more stress on your speakers if you run them at 2 ohms. I would put a comp set on the front at 4 ohm and keep the 6x9's on the rear at 4 ohm

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

And about your 2nd question no it wouldn't bring distortion unless your not powering your amp right or running it at a lower impedance that its not stable at. And you said your amp is rated at 60 x 4 at 4 ohms I would leave it at that unless your planning on doing anything big in which case I would suggest getting a different amp.

Or you could get a comp set that has bi-amp capable x-over then each tweeter and mid would be driven on its own channel from your 4 channel amp

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Ok, so I am running an Mmats E600.4 channel amp on 4 JBL 6x9s now. I want to ditch those, and run a better pair of 6.5 comps just up front. The amp is rated 60 x 4rms @4ohm stereo. So what ohm & rms speaker should I be looking at if I only wanted to run 2, and get the most out of that amp? It is 2 ohm stereo stable. Oh, and how would I wire that also?

There aren't many good sets of components that are 2 ohms, so to get full potential out of your amp you would most likely be running 2 sets of 4 ohm components. Do you want to run two sets up front?

Yes it will add some slight distortion and put more stress on your speakers if you run them at 2 ohms. I would put a comp set on the front at 4 ohm and keep the 6x9's on the rear at 4 ohm

Running at 2 ohms instead of 4 will NOT add distortion if you set your gains PROPERLY.

Your amp is less efficient at 2 ohms then it is at 4, but that doesn't automatically mean you have to put up with distortion.

Running at 2 ohms instead of 4 will NOT add distortion if you set your gains PROPERLY.

Your amp is less efficient at 2 ohms then it is at 4, but that doesn't automatically mean you have to put up with distortion.

ok lets just say you lose dynamic head room and it pushes you close to distortion faster?

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Archived