Sonic Electronix

I have several questions. first im putting a second battery in my trunk. I have a Duralast gold under my hood and the second battery is an auto craft AGM battery and I read that if you mix to different kind of batteries it can be real bad? im not really sure what it means. like can I not have the duralast connected to the AGM or what. Also do I need a fuse after second battery before it goes into my amp? and I was talking to my dad and he said that I needed a plastic box for my second battery because he's heard that with temperature fluctuation it will create condensation and cause the battery to fail and leak on to the trunk lining. and he said that the plastic battery box would help to keep anything touching the batteries + and - and causing a malfunction in my car and possibility of catching my car on fire. he also said not to make a box for battery out of wood which I thought was weird because I've seen other people do it so im just curious? sorry about all the questions this is the first system that I might actually need a second battery on. any help is appreciated.

AQ - SQ For Life

Using your two batteries together poses no problem. You will DEFINATELY want a battery box as well as a PROPER battery hold down.

You would be best served if your second battery was a deep cycle.

Make sure you have done your "big 3" before beginning with a second battery.

Make sure to ground the new battery solidly to the chassis with a piece of 1/0 cable.

You will want a 200 amp relay upfront under the hood so that the 2nd battery is only tied to the main when the ignition is in the RUN position and NOT in the ACC position

You will want to run a minimum of #2awg copper cable from front to back for positive and you MUST MUST fuse BOTH ends of it with a fuse that matches the awg of the cable you are running front to back. the 2 fuses protect from shorts on either side of the relay as with two batteries installed you now have TWO sources of positive and potential for shorts on either end of the car.

once that's all done you will pull power AND ground for your amps from the newly installed battery and fuse the positive to the amp as the amp manufacturer recommends.

this battery?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_battery-group-size-h8-850-cca-autocraft-gold-agm_10210828-p#

for one... you dont need a battery box. AGM's are sealed batteries, meaning they dont leak, condensate or anything, you can eat off of them if you want. All you need is a way to secure it where it wont slide around in the trunk, you can lay it on its side if you need to, it wont hurt it.

Also, running AGM with wet cell will not cause anything bad, just a slow parasitic discharge on the AGM which can shorten its life, which you dont want, but it isnt going to explode if you mix batteries.

as far as fusing....

1 fuse within 18in of the first battery inline

1 fuse witin 18in of the second battery inline (same wire that comes from the front, you have to fuse it at both ends)

1 fuse between the back battery and your amplifier (per amplifier)

you will want to ground the back battery to the frame, and the ground the amp to the back battery.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Archived