Stopping explorer from going too low

I have a 99 Explorer that is bagged and my issue is that when the front end is all the way down the front rest on top of the tires. The inner fender wells sit on top of the tires. I'm trying to figure out a way to reduce how far down the front ends goes. I can't tub the front end as it is out of my budget. I was thinking about welding something between the control arms and something else so it binds on that and doesn't go all the way down.

My worry is that if I pop a bag or line while driving down the road I don't want the truck to slam down on to the tires or hit the cross member on the ground.

I snapped a couple of pics with it up and down. im thinking I can weld something to the frame that hits what I think is the lower control arm when it goes down too far. let me know if yall have any Ideas or need more info.

20131004_181752_zps5c7fdcef.jpg

20131004_181819_zpsc2bfff90.jpg

20131004_181923_zpscd55bce7.jpg

20131004_181950_zpsfff3e5e6.jpg

20131004_182003_zpsee1a68c3.jpg

Alright, first post on SMD but I've been doing this car thing for a while.

Yeah Justice you're on the right track. Right above the torsion bar hex I would weld another gusset on the frame like the one for the top of the bag, only smaller obviously. Or even above the old stop bracket on the LCA (that used to hit the sway bar on that truck I think?) Then use a small poly bump stop between it and the LCA for two reasons: 1) Easier adjustability of the bump stop to set your maximum low setting without more cutting/welding by using spacers or washers or taller stops. 2) Bottoming out metal to metal kinda sucks. Even a hard red poly stop will give you some cushion that far inboard on the LCA.

If we could see the front of the LCA there might be something available there that's easier to do.

I'm still playing around with the front stops on my static lowered 4wd Tahoe to make it just right.

Static drops are my bag.

Depending on your budget you could do a couple things. One way is to monitor your max height dropped and lowered on your pressure gauge for future reference, install bumpstops to the height you need them to stop the travel at, possibly replace the current bags with bags that offer a smaller travel distance or one that has a higher aired out height.

Archived