Second Skin Audio

New Box, SA-12 Dust Cover warm

Rob Smith

I recently finished my new box for my upcoming DD 9512i it is 2.8 Net tuned to 35.5 hz. In the interim I threw in my SA-12 to see how it liked the extra air space and port area (34 square inches). It sounds fantastic, flexes the hatch, the roof, everything inside etc. Holy smokes excursion in the low lows now !!Power comes from a Zapco 750.2 Bridged so about 800 watts, this should be right around the upper limit in a large box for the SA-12 safely daily as I understand it.

I am slightly concerned that after an hour or so long listening session I went back and felt the dust cover... it was slightly warm, totally comfortable to touch maybe 10f hotter than my hand. Is that ok, or is the cover being warm at all a sign its time to turn it down a little (signal was not being clipped, but was a couple notches above my normal listening level)?

I had these components metered at 127 using only about 250 watts on my old box @ 48, but now holy shit, turning the power up in a proper box has done some amazing things!! I'll have it metered again this week with a TL, but I suspect its in the 135-140 range now! Cannot wait to get my DD in there!!

Electricity = heat

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

The dust cap is what moves the air up and then pushes it back out.

It is very normal for the dust cap to get warm.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Most of the power you send to a driver gets converted to heat anyways. Warm is normal. Hot/stinky is not

I made a short video of my first noticeable flex. Sub still has more in it, this is with the EQ in the zapco pulling a lot of power in the 40-50hz range to flatten the sound inside the cabin a bit and soften the +14db cabin gain at 46hz. See if I can't get the windshield going tonight ;)

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q_4d97jjeM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Any guesses where I'm at on the meter? Will have it put on the TL tomorrow.

Not bad at all for a single sa-12. Probably in the high 130's? I would love to see a comparison between the 95 & SA, I have always wanted a 95 series DD. Probably gets a little warm in a 2.5ft^ enclosure but I wouldn't worry to much,my dustcap gets HOT to the touch,melted the glue off several times & the sub still slams!

Archived