Second Skin Audio

wft!!! box problems

gmsierra2000

It will not pressurize with a rag top. You can still throw your system in. It won't be mind blowing though and it won't matter top open or to closed, it won't pressurize either ways very well. You don't have to take my word, but results will not be great or probably very impressive. Every day listening, yeah it will reproduce bass. Anything more than that, you'd be so lucky.

When was the last time you saw someone try to put a system in a soft top Jeep?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

The term loud is subjective. Loud to you is probably but loud to me. So ear ringing for you may start sooner than where it will for someone else. I got ear raped by a 158-160 vehicle this weekend and the demo I received was probably mid 50s. It was painful and also very fun.

You can't pressurize an environment that has a huge soft area like the roof. Your pressure will escape and decibels will be lost. If you want some good bump, get a couple of 15s and go sealed in a custom fiberglass enclosure painted and designed to match the truck.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

so a sealed box would suit me better then a ported box at this point? would it be louder then a ported box? cause after reading I thought the reason for a port was to bring out the low notes or vice versa. the moving subs is what create the pressure. sound..... correct me if im wrong...

would a sealed box be louder then a ported box im my situation

so a sealed box would suit me better then a ported box at this point? would it be louder then a ported box? cause after reading I thought the reason for a port was to bring out the low notes or vice versa. the moving subs is what create the pressure. sound..... correct me if im wrong...

Think of creating pressure like this:

The rag on the top will act as if you have opened a door in a sense. The cabin of the vehicle is no longer sealed so there's an area for the pressure to escape. Depending on how big this area is though may work to your advantage. Think of it as opening a window or a door. I'm not saying this applies to all vehicles, but from my experience if I'm sitting on the driver side of my vehicle and open a passenger window, my driver's side gets louder. I think that's where the acoustics comes in. Sort of how if you're metering and you open your driver's door your score typically goes up. I don't know much about this so I'm going to stop before I put anymore of my foot in my mouth, but hopefully somebody else will chime in

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Think of creating pressure like this:

The rag on the top will act as if you have opened a door in a sense. The cabin of the vehicle is no longer sealed so there's an area for the pressure to escape. Depending on how big this area is though may work to your advantage. Think of it as opening a window or a door. I'm not saying this applies to all vehicles, but from my experience if I'm sitting on the driver side of my vehicle and open a passenger window, my driver's side gets louder. I think that's where the acoustics comes in. Sort of how if you're metering and you open your driver's door your score typically goes up. I don't know much about this so I'm going to stop before I put anymore of my foot in my mouth, but hopefully somebody else will chime in

Chris, you pretty much nailed it man. It all depends on how the setup loads/pressurizes within the vehicle. I'd recommend subs up with the port into the b-pillar, so you'd have to knock some width off the box, maybe even run some aero's. Or porting forward...

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Archived