Yep 4.0, one of my best friends has a 2012 %.0 with A CIA, Tune, Roush Exhaust, and NOS. That bad pulls hard with the gas, hell of a lot fun to ride in. Man the 5.0's are fun.

hell yeaa they do he has exhaust tune. final gear ration 3.73 so you know them thing are fast lol

2010 Mazda 3

*Rebuild Time*

Subs - (2) AA Mayhems 12's
Sub amp - (1) Populus Audio TPA 6500
Headunit - Pioneer App Radio 2

Batteries - XS Power (1) D3100 up front | 6 XP950 rear

Wire - Sky High 1/0 Gauge wires and RCA's and steve's VM1

Alternator - Singer 260 Externally Regulated

Front Stage: (2) PRV Audio 10W650A (4) PRV Audio 8MR500-PhP-4 (4) DS Bullet Tweets | (2) 6.5 Components (Rear doors)

Mids & high Amp : (2) Populus Audio 100.4

Processor: Rockford 3sixty.3

The Build Log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/175922-2010-mazda-3-2-aa-mayhems-12-pg14-new-video/page-11

flakosignature1-1_zps0751010a.png

I decided to make a custom heat shelf for my intake. This will also at some point be a mounting location for the HID ballast. First things first mark the center hole from my old heat shield. I had all ready cut the abs and taped it in place to find out where the intake tube cut out would line up.

IMG_1019.jpg

Some more test fits and marking and I have a rough shape for the shield part

IMG_1026.jpg

its not that pretty now but It will be.

IMG_1027.jpg

Now to start on the floor of the heat shield. I use a card board template to get it close, ofter I have it all put together I will fiber glass in the gaps to make it flush with the fender well.

First mock up and test fit. I had to shave and trim in a few places but over all not bad.

IMG_1029.jpg

Ca glues it in to place in the engine bay

IMG_1030.jpg

Next step it so pull it out and start the refining process and some kitty hair / filler to smooth it out.

IMG_1031.jpg

The green lines are places I will need to adjust. Im thinking that this will be a cool piece and add some space to mount those pesky HID ballasts to.

So a little more work done on the air box. Im also thinking of how Im going to re build the trunk. Im changing the box to a ported box and I need to mount the X over back there. Heres a question How many devices can a 30 amp relay run? Should the amp have one and the cover be on its own relay triggered by the same thing. The front relays have the amp and LC6 on separate relays and the gauges on the same supply as the LC6.

Any input would be cool Im not sure how to find out how much current each device draws.

Now on the the custom heat shield. Got a bit of work done last night and decided that I'm going to do more Fiberglassing that I thought. At first I was going to just flush it up to the inner fender well, but now I'm going to take it up a bit more and make it look like a well thought out pice instead of just an heat shield.

Heres the progress so far.

Got to duff it up

IMG_0002.jpg

The supports that go underneath the floor to keep it level.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

After everything was test fitted and I like the way its sitting its tape time. At the end of this build I'm thinking that everything covered by tape will be fiberglasses or at least up to where the curve of the fender meets where the stock air box mounted. This is where im going to FG some mounts in.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

First round

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

After I pulled it out FG is in its trees stage, I sanded just a bit since this is fairly thin and will act as a platform for me to bond the next FG step too.

IMG_0011.jpg

I know that it seems odd the Ive done it this way, Fiberglassing further up the fender well was an idea I had late last night after thinking about what I had done.

More FG to make a nice transition and add some strength.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

All in all I'm pretty happy with this project. I don't do a lot of work with fiber glass so I'm thinking its time to make something that will teach me the finer points, its all about learning after all.

Im trying to find a better place to mount the ballast ( the box with morimoto on it) Id like to blend it in to the install a little more. It has to stay in the area its in now because the cables are a fixed length.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

So in my first real attempt at fiberglassing anything I got the final shape of the heat shield in place. Now its sanding time , Im having a hard time sanding the corners. I made my first bond milk shake ( to thin) but then made another coat much thinker.

Didn't get any I'm progress pics but heres what I have so far.

IMG_0014.jpg

Trim Line

IMG_0015-1.jpg

Milkshake time

IMG_0016-1.jpg

First round of sanding.

IMG_0018.jpg

More to come this weekend .

So after a weekend of sanding and smoothing heres the final product. I now know a little more about fiberglassing and bond milkshakes. Im happy with the out come but its not a perfect as I wanted. Shown here with my old filter. I was not able to come up with a better way to mount the HID ballast and relay. But there is always time for that later. I painted it with bed liner to give it that plastic look, and blend to the area better.

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

Next step Back to the Audio section of the build.

Nice, I have always thought about doing my own cold air housing. Nice work on the install also.

Archived