Second Skin Audio

overpowering and proper enclosures

LoudBimmer

Regardless of results I would choose the proper enclosure, proper power, and personal preference of subs before I would go with a small sealed box and over power it. mainly the overpowering it a ton is why I would choose the option i did. $.02

Not saying that's right or wrong.

Also, there is always a safe way to get the results you want so you might as well go safe then over power...

he never said anything about a sealed box...

if he wants a loud burp box then going "safe" isn't the goal. loud is the goal.

Good point about the sealed part. Had that in my head for some reason.

I hear ya on the burp box part of it but he didn't specify what his intent was, seemed more curious as to the general result that others have possibly seen under the 2 circumstances given.

In for results as well.

Also, I also over power subs somewhat due to box rise, electrical, actual RMS of amps, etc. etc. but going 3x the rated RMS is something I would never do no matter how small the box is, that's just my own personal opinion and preference. There is circumstances where it might not pose a problem but not something I would risk myself. To each their own. =)

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

so going bigger isnt better?

Define "better".

If you want lower bass and don't care about SPL then yes. If your main goal is SPL then no. Better is relative to a lot of things.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Define "better".

If you want lower bass and don't care about SPL then yes. If your main goal is SPL then no. Better is relative to a lot of things.

not true. in some cases a larger box can be louder, and in others the small box will be louder. I did very well with a large box when I competed.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Define "better".

not true. in some cases a larger box can be louder, and in others the small box will be louder. I did very well with a large box when I competed.

Good point. But large relative to what? I'm running an 18 cubic foot box for two 15s that'll fire in 6 cubes and it's loud as hell. It's also a transmission line though, so it has to be big.

if it's a t-line then it isn't 18 cubes... t-lines dont have a large chamber with a port. it's all port and measured in wave length vs frequency.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

if it's a t-line then it isn't 18 cubes... t-lines dont have a large chamber with a port. it's all port and measured in wave length vs frequency.

I understand the principle. And yes, the one I mentioned occupies ~18 cubic feet of space inside the cabin of my vehicle.

And an 18 cubic foot refrigerator would also take up 18 cubic feet of space in my vehicle, even though it wouldn't make a bass note. ;-)

when deciding between smaller over powered or a larger box consider also that the smaller the box your port has to be fairly big overall to tune low. A bigger box is naturally low note friendly and low tuning is achieved with much less port volume when compared to a small box.

Small boxes have a higher natural f3 compared to a larger box.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Archived