Mike R Posted November 1, 2013 Report Posted November 1, 2013 I am starting my first real build for my 01 Impala and I am trying to settle on a sub/box combo that will work out well for me. I am a competitive shooter and have to haul my guns in the trunk so I can't quite commit to a 7 cube build yet but right now I have a pair of Kicker 10" CVRs in a prefab 3 cf box tuned to 1 million hertz. It is very boomy up top but the lows sound like bunny farts. I would like to run somewhere around 1000-1500 watts rms. Im replacing the tired factory alternator with a 145 amp AD244 this weekend and am prepping to do the big 3 to eventually go bigger when I have another car to haul my gear in. I have built several small boxes for trucks before and I have all the tools I need to build a box. I am thinking something like a 4 or 5 cf box tuned to 32 or so hz would help me get some lows and still let me fit a few guns and my gear back there. I am not trying to start a vs thread- I promise! I don't know if a box that size would have enough airspace for 3 10s, 2 12s or if I should go with a 15. I have been looking at builds for Impalas but I am still very new at all of this. Not trying to get involved in brands or which is louder or anything. I have been playing with a box calculator and I am willing to learn more but I would like to get started on this soon and was hoping I could get some help with getting started.
Mike R Posted November 1, 2013 Author Report Posted November 1, 2013 To start maybe 5-600 for sub (s) and amp?
nocturnalrites101 Posted November 1, 2013 Report Posted November 1, 2013 Dc Level 3 15 and a dc 2.0k?
Mike R Posted November 1, 2013 Author Report Posted November 1, 2013 Level 3 looks nice, I should be able to give it plenty of airspace- that amp is rated for 2k RMS and the sub is only 900 RMS right? I guess I could try to reduce the output by setting the gains lower but wouldnt that be somewhat risky?
Neckbeard Posted November 1, 2013 Report Posted November 1, 2013 Level 3 looks nice, I should be able to give it plenty of airspace- that amp is rated for 2k RMS and the sub is only 900 RMS right? I guess I could try to reduce the output by setting the gains lower but wouldnt that be somewhat risky? No, the myth that underpowering your subs will hurt them is a joke. Think about this, Isnt turning your gains down on the amp the same as turning down the volume? Underpower all you want haha.That lvl3 could handle that amp easily (aslong as the gains are set properly) Build log, Super slow!!: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/168096-slow-neckbeards-1970-opel-gt/
ChevyBoy95 Posted November 1, 2013 Report Posted November 1, 2013 Level 3 looks nice, I should be able to give it plenty of airspace- that amp is rated for 2k RMS and the sub is only 900 RMS right? I guess I could try to reduce the output by setting the gains lower but wouldnt that be somewhat risky?No, the myth that underpowering your subs will hurt them is a joke. Think about this, Isnt turning your gains down on the amp the same as turning down the volume? Underpower all you want haha.That lvl3 could handle that amp easily (aslong as the gains are set properly) that is not what he meant, he meant the fact that it would be close to double rms with a 2.0, and not sure if turning the gain down would be enough to suffice a safe level of play. In reality, the Lv3 M2 woofers, can handle a 2.0 daily on them. What I would do, is look into soundqubeds new lines of woofers. This subwoofer : http://www.soundqubed.com/HDS315_p_229.html This amplifer : http://www.soundqubed.com/Q1-1200D-Amplifier_p_30.html Put it in 3.5 cubes ported, tuned to 35hz or so, and you will be good to go, and have a decent amount of output over those CVRs. Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's] BL : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/
nocturnalrites101 Posted November 1, 2013 Report Posted November 1, 2013 Maybe shoot rusty up an email and you can do 2 12 level 3s for a few bux extra.
jk13 Posted November 1, 2013 Report Posted November 1, 2013 I just wanted to say way to go Mike R for planning your sub system in an intelligent manner and for asking proper and thorough questions. Nice to see someone did some reading and measuring before purchasing the wrong gear. Also loljokes in the first paragraph. That's all. Static drops are my bag.
Joe X Posted November 2, 2013 Report Posted November 2, 2013 If looking for a limit, you can probably fit 3 12s in proper airspace in that vehicle (space efficient subs though, like dc audio mentioned above, obsidian, RF are some other to choose from). The best way to know is for you to post your max dims for a box.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.