Sundown Audio

setting gains (getn DDM overload)

SJonus

im tryn to set my gains on my mono amps and the multimeter is overloading befor i get to my voltage needed..i have 2 PG 600rms amps..im suppose to get 34.6 volts and i overload at 25 or so..thats with the bass knob off..WHEN i try to set gains with bass knob halfway its overloading with amp gains all the way down..all my settings are set to flat

i have a factory stereo with a scosche line converter..all the outputs on the converter were set to have 6 volts when turned up to 3/4.gains on max jump to 15 plus..thats way to much right?..

am i doin somthing wrong?

plus the decimal on the mutimeter keeps switching from tenths to thousanths ect when testing volts..wtf

also..im using a 40 htz -5 db signal..

could the Line converter be shit?..

2004 F-150 Lariat

2 PGold 800 rms amps to subs

1 Hifonics 640.4 brutus to m/h

4 a2-65 6" percisionpower-mids

4 PT.2 tweets percisionpower-hi's

2 12" PA mofo's/box by "dave the box guy"

big 4 0/1 g front to back / 2 optima yellow tops

nutin special....

• 2 weeks later...

didnt think it was that dumb of a question..but..

2004 F-150 Lariat

nutin special....

But what?
Can you try with a DMM that isn't autoranging? Also maybe try 50 or 60hz. maybe the DMM is calibrated for AC at another frequency and it is being confused?

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

If you have a 6 volt preamp signal your gain knobs should be turned almost all the way down. The lower setting on gain knob is for high voltage preamp signals and the higher setting is for low voltage preamp signals.

It sounds to me like your signal is becoming so distorted that the meter is starting to think it's a square wave.

Set your bass knob all the way up when gain setting and double check your amp's sensitivity range. More preamp voltage isn't always good and in this case, you may need the LOC set to send a 4 volt signal.

In the end, you're better off finding a scope or DD-1 to set them with.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

I tested a few different scoshe LOC's and all of them give out dirty distorted power with their knobs all the way down. also a lot of the other commonly used LOC's are very distorted too..

Chances are your multimeter is not the greatest, and giving you skewed results.

What brand model is it?

Just don't use DMM to set gains, use your ears/eyes/nose to set the gain.(also add in some common sense)

If you have a 6 volt output you should be certain that the gain can't be over half, closer to a quarter.(starting all the way counterclockwise)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

im usen a Southwire 3n1 DMM..30 bucs at lowes...im pretty sure the LOC from scoshce is crap..i will get new HU or new LOC in the next day and will report..thx guys..

btw..i did get a better reading usin a 50 htz tone(w/dmm)..but.... i went with the dd1 downloaded tones(40-5db)..i will reuse 50 0dbhtz..thx..

2004 F-150 Lariat

nutin special....

Archived