Adding a center channel to a Trans Am

Austin42156

Yeah.......

- 1995 Pontiac Trans Am

- 5.7 LT1 V8
- Kenwood Excelon x998 Deck
- JL Audio XR650-CSI 6.5" 2-Way Component Speakers (In My Doors)
- Crescendo Audio PWX 6.5" Mid Ranges (Right behind my seats)
- (1) Kenwood KAC-9105d Monoblock Amplifier
- (1) Kenwood X450/4, 4 Channel Amplifier
- (2) Kenwood W3013ps 12" Subwoofers
- Amps tuned with O-scope.
- Stinger Roadkill Sound Deadening
- F.A.S.T Rings by Mobile Solutions
- Phoenix Gold and Stinger wiring

Not going to work.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Just to clear it up, by adding this I am hoping to fill in the "sound gap" between the two doors and help with just basic imaging.

- 1995 Pontiac Trans Am

- 5.7 LT1 V8

CDT Imaging Tweeters!

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

I looked at them lol! They look like a good buy and will work for what I want them for. Gotta save up some money first !!

- 1995 Pontiac Trans Am

- 5.7 LT1 V8

Oh man. Well flame suit on it has been done and it can work.

--My old SQ car had one. 8-6-tweeter in each door and two 4" midranges bridged mono 8 ohm in front of the shifter in an old Accord.

--My buddy who still competes SQ with an 89 Mustang uses one too. Kind of the opposite of mine with low placement on the outside and high placement center. 6" door, tweeters low in the kick panels, and a 4" coax up high in the dash on an Audiocontrol ESP-3.

--Many, many friends and competitors we ran against had them too back in the early 90s.

I used no processing at all other than hand built passive crossovers. Matter of fact they ran off the same two channel amp as the doors mixed-mono (Punch 40). Car sounded great and won a few shows. Had a couple judges send other competitors over to listen.

My friend has competed with his car for quite a few years. Think he built it in '95 or so and still does some local stuff. It's been to Nationals once or twice. Soundstream Class A 6.0 on the doors, Class A 6.0 on subs, Class A 3.0 on the center. All 4 ohm.

As long as you feed it a mono signal and do plenty of testing (as always) you should be able to find something you'll be happy with. It took a lot of planning for mine to work. If I did it again, and I might, I would use a separate amp with it's own level control if I couldn't find an ESP-3.

Static drops are my bag.

Thank you! Someone who understands! I just tried to look up an esp-3 but couldn't find one. Does audio control make a newer version of this or is there another company who makes something like it?

- 1995 Pontiac Trans Am

- 5.7 LT1 V8

Not that I know of but really it just creates a mono signal and has a remote level control for the center. Could do the same with an L-pad and Y-adapters if you want remote level or just run the amp bridged and use the gain control.

Lots of guys run equal power across the front but end up turning the center down to 25-50% of the sides. It really doesn't take much power to give you the effect you're after.

Static drops are my bag.

I want to do a center channel too. Don't be discouraged. A lot of people will say they are a band-aid for poor tuning or not worth the effort but I disagree. I will say it takes a lot of work and for 95 out of 100 people it isn't necessary. I think of it like stepping your game to another level. Find a driver that will play as low as your L+R speakers, and get a processor that will give you a summed mono signal. Like jk mentioned I would want to have a way to attenuate the volume and some eq. I can't speak to the 5.1 material but it is a great way to improve your front stage for normal music. But like I said it is not necessary. I would look to add a center after I had everything else on lock and wanted to sweeten it up just a little more. Our hobby is one of excess. I see a lot of people in it doing what is "unnecessary." If you have the skill to tune, ability to fabricate, and money to make it happen...why wouldn't you do it. That's just how I see it.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

I have the Kenwood DNX9980HD headunit in my system ... It has 5.1 surround sound Capabilities ...

It has a dedicated channel for a "true center channel" ...

When my dash is FINALLY complete, it will have a 5.25" passive component set for left and right channels ... and a 6.5" midbass driver for my center channel ...

Me and the wife normally enjoys watching movies while traveling to shows and events ...

Also ... I will use my center cahnnel to compete "two seat judging" in Sound Quality competitions ...

When processing and time aligning like posted above usually makes the driver seat sound great, but normally makes the passenger seat sound like shit ... which does not work for me at all ...

Now with that being said ... If you want a center channel, I would HIGHLY suggest starting out with a Headunit with a dedicated 5.1 surround sound output ... then you would have a momo center channel output that works without manipulating ohm loads and such ...

You can always deactivate the center channel and time align for SQ stage and image if you like ... Which is the way mine is set up at the moment ...

I've worked with these cars before ... one suggestion would be to install a custom cut dash mat on your dash to eliminate bouncing waves off of the winshield ... you might notice a great difference just by doing this ...

Now with having a headunit with a dedicated center channel output, you can have a nice processed center channel and have real good left and right channel separation. Will it be textbook ?? No, but then again, it is very hard to make natural surround sound in any vehicle ... and with my personal opinion, center channels work really nice to accomplish this. They are just very hard to set up without using a dedicated 5.1 surround sound processor.

Car Audio Sound Quality processors were not designed to have center channels ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived