DC Sound Lab

Lvl 4 18", power vs enclosure size

so i'm on my final build and decided to just get it over with. i'm going to wall my hatch with 2 18" DC Level 4 m1s. i bought all my equipment for the build already so it's just installing it. I was planning on a net 16 cubic ft box with 4 6" aero ports since I only have just over 2k of power to put on them. i keep seeing smaller enclosure sizes so no i'm thinking of a net 12 cubic ft box with 3 6" aero ports. i only have 2k worth of power to throw at the 2 of them, that's why I was thinking the larger enclosure. I'm not after numbers or hair tricks b/c i know that is just not going to happen. I just want the subs to be happy.

net volume, 16 cubes with 4 6" aero ports

vs

net volume, 12 cubes with 3 6" aero ports

both seeing the same power in a ford focus hatch. any first hand experience is greatly appreciated.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

I think I may have put things wrong. My question is more a vs of larger net volume vs smaller new volume. The change is port area change is mainly bc of net volume to keep port length reasonable.

Honestly I wouldn't try to compensate for lower power. You know youll add more power later right? Would you want to rebuild because of that

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I'd probably do a slot port rather than aero. You're crunched for space huh? If wanting to go aeros, you still may try to keep the 4 6"ports. I wouldn't sacrifice port area AND lower volume. You'd never be able to guess which one was your culprit if it sucked. I'm not saying it would suck, but don't change two variables at once, just change one.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Thanks for the input guys. I greatly appreciate it. Space is only limited by the car itself as I am walling it. Power is most likely going to stay where it's at bc I can only fit one H.O alt under the hood. I really want this to be a good all around car. I run in the high 12s but that's with no system. Once I get the system in I am changing my motor set up to hopefully stay in the low 13s still. If I can still run a low 13 sec 1/4 mile and hit high 140s I'd be the happiest guy on the planet. I am just realistic about being able to do both in a ford focus hatchback, it's just not all that reasonable.

• 1 month later...

not being able to fit a dual alt setup does suck. could sacrifice power setering though lol...

if you want to try and still do 1/4 then go with a smaller box for less weight.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.