Second Skin Audio

Box for Fi Q

Sunny

Im going to buy one Fi Q 12" and I need some help with a box for it. I will want it to be tuned at around 35 but not sure what will be good sq but impress my friends a bit ;) My dimensions are

Height = 16.5" (~42cm)

Depth = around 15.7" (~40cm) can go up to 20".

Width = around 20" (~50cm) can go up to around 22".

And opening of the trunk is 15.7"-16.5"(40-42cm) - as in I am pretty sure 42cm also works.

A bit off topic, but instead of writing another post:

I'm going to buy an hifonics brx2000(240$), should I invest a bit more in an Orion xtr2200 (330$) for example or any other suggestions?

I plugged your numbers and it seems you are on the right track with around a 2.5-2.75 cubic ft box (changes based on your port area and actual tuning). I love everything about the Q. You should have a ton of fun with this build.

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

I really hope so! But I am wondering if I can get the minimum 1.8CF of net volume for the sub (by their site - http://store.ficaraudio.com/q12/) if so I probably will go with a ported box and not sealed. Since I would like to it be more SQ than SPL I guess around 33hz would be good, if any other suggestions it will be great :)

And will a sealed box be significantly worse than ported for the air it moves (as in feeling ) and spl?

I really hope so! But I am wondering if I can get the minimum 1.8CF of net volume for the sub (by their site - http://store.ficaraudio.com/q12/) if so I probably will go with a ported box and not sealed. Since I would like to it be more SQ than SPL I guess around 33hz would be good, if any other suggestions it will be great :)

And will a sealed box be significantly worse than ported for the air it moves (as in feeling ) and spl?

Its been my experience that impact comes more from cone area than box style. A ported box is more efficient (thus louder) as you get closer to their tuning frequency so you are going to get more volume down low, but not much, if any, more impact.

Since you are after more SQ than SPL, I'd put it in ported box that's on the smaller end of things and tune it low, like 28 Hz. That will get you the flatest response.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

you can always make up a sealed box real quick and try it out first or swap in the future. I love this driver both sealed and ported. My favorite subs to this day to put 1000-1500 watts to.

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

If I wanted it sealed should I buy the highQTS or just go with normal in case I want to change to ported? What is the actual difference of the highQTS?

And how do I know how big the box needs to be in order to tune it to 'x' HZ?

p.s. what extras from the website do I need to buy for the fi q?

If I wanted it sealed should I buy the highQTS or just go with normal in case I want to change to ported? What is the actual difference of the highQTS?

The tuning is determined by the length of the port relative to its diameter/area. There are several port calculators online that can help you.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

The tuning is determined by the length of the port relative to its diameter/area. There are several port calculators online that can help you.

Yeah I know about the ported box but what about a sealed box? I know it can't be really tuned but if its bigger the sub has less resistance from the air and could play lower more easily so if the site says 0.8-1.5CF for sealed how big should I do it?

and if I want it to be in a sealed box and maybe after in a vented, what extras from the site do I need to buy? like cooling,spider etc...

The larger sealed box slightly increases your ability to play lower notes but you have to limit the input power, if you do the largest recommended box try to push not much more than rated, in some large sealed setups using the subsonic filter may be a good idea.

The larger sealed box slightly increases your ability to play lower notes but you have to limit the input power, if you do the largest recommended box try to push not much more than rated, in some large sealed setups using the subsonic filter may be a good idea.

So if I buy a brx2000.1d (2k rms) and want the sub in a sealed box and get good SQ what do you recommend?

In addition, what features should I buy with the FI Q if I want it in a sealed box and maybe later in a ported one?

( as in cooling , high QTS , P chamfer , spider , I heat ring , internal lead ).

Archived