Thumper Posted November 22, 2013 Report Posted November 22, 2013 Hey guys, Got a question that I can't seem to get a straight answer out of my local shop or guys so if anyone can give me a straight answer it would be much appreciatedI'm trying to set up a pretty mean system in a smallish car (While still keeping the back seats and at least some trunk space), the trunk is a pretty odd size and dimension so a standard MDF 1" to 1.5" thick sub box just isn't going to fit, I've got a bit of experience in fiber-glassing and carbon-fiber work and am thinking of making the sub box out of composites, will this still sound as good? or will I end up with too much flex in the box and the bass'll end up sounding like it's at the end of a tunnel) just don't want to waste time and materials with experimenting, so like I said, any help would be appreciated, Thanks
jk13 Posted November 22, 2013 Report Posted November 22, 2013 Build it strong enough and you'll be fine. There are thousands of systems out there with boxes like you describe. Just like a wooden box if it's built correctly it works. Static drops are my bag.
Thumper Posted November 22, 2013 Author Report Posted November 22, 2013 Thanks heaps for that, just been a struggle to find any boxes that aren't made of wood (living in New Zealand, things like that seem pretty exotic)
HHR Ed Posted November 22, 2013 Report Posted November 22, 2013 Use fiberglass, make the design to a nice shape. use enough layers to make it rigid. And you are good to go. You can also reinforce the resin by adding sand and portland cement but it's not needed. For broad flat areas, brace with wood or steel. Ed Lester ShowtimeSPL Host Showtime Electronics Video MarketingMy old Build Loghttp://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl 5 time dB Drag Finalist Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way. Loudest score ever = 171dB 2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion
TeamHT Posted November 22, 2013 Report Posted November 22, 2013 Well if it's small, I don't see why 3/4 is being used. I've seen many people think nothing could fit in there when reality is the options are there. Maybe pictures and specs or dimensions? Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?
bassl0va Posted November 22, 2013 Report Posted November 22, 2013 Where in NZ are you at bro? I've seen a bunch of fiberglass enclosures, mostly at shows but I've also seen one that was removed from a show car and it was fairly thick and really strong. I bet for the same thickness fiberglass would be much stronger. Fiberglass would be great and I'd love to see a build log of what you do. NZ My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.