DC Sound Lab

Square Inches Of Port

The calculator was shown to me by Bkolfo, whom I trust and is a knowledgeable guy. Its all based on stuff found I'm the Loudspeaker Cookbook. Small's formulas and such

He runs quite a bit of port as well I believe and has had good results. Isn't he also an AA dealer?

Edited by CleanSierra

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Im familiar with it all. What was used to determine too much port area was testing testing and testing without any swags. Thats how the rule of thumb came about. The loudspeaker cookbook has been around forever so its not ground breaking. Nor do people jgnore it. Theories can sometimes be flawed especially in a vehicle.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

N8, this is from pure curiosity on my part but I have a question. Is it with the higher powered systems where you've seen the too much port result in decreased output? Like 20K plus sub stage? Because I know that Real96SS got a little bump in output when he took a little port area out. But we are talking a lot 3 9Ks and 6 Team Fi subs in a 16V setup.

If it makes a difference I am hoping to clmap very close to 5k per sub after impedence rise. Wiring amps low lol.

2000 Toyota Camry With Sealed Off Trunk

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Gathering Parts For Wall Build.

Team DC Audio 2014 Member

I hate saying this but its.all install dependent. I used to hang and know alot of hardcore spl guys. Like guys who had boxes stacked in their garage that they could pull out and show you the writing on the top of the specs and what score it did at what freq. Power didnt matter because they were overdriving their woofers anyways. Alot of street a b and c boxes that were done with one battery as well. Alot of ugly 2x4s in the ports extra baffles etc. They could range from a couple thousand watts to about 5k in most cases. Small time for us now but at that point it was big time. Alot of what theyd see was larger ports loss of cone control. Extremely peaky boxes and more woofers that went poof.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

I wish I was able to test this out without it being super expensive. I just don't see how the calculator is correct. I entered in 2 12's and 40 mm xmax with 38 hz tuning and its telling me a minimum of 166.54 sq in of port. There's no way 2 12's need that much port.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

I wish I was able to test this out without it being super expensive. I just don't see how the calculator is correct. I entered in 2 12's and 40 mm xmax with 38 hz tuning and its telling me a minimum of 166.54 sq in of port. There's no way 2 12's need that much port.

40 MM of Xmax is seriously hefty.

And like N8 and myself said, you can surely get away with less in a vehicle cabin. Every vehicle is different and how much less depends on more factors than one.

And it's not super expensive to test. Build two or three boxes, that's just a couple sheets of wood for a couple of 12s.

Edited by CleanSierra

Right the gsme was to peak your box at the same freq as your vehicles res freq.it.only had to play that one freq too. There.is no way I could ever consider anything over 20 sq in of port per cube for musical use. Even that scares me. My limit is really 17 to 18 for woofers that willplay music .

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

When I ran my two dc level 4 12a I had 72 square inches of port, and they sounded great and where no peaky. They have 23.5 mm of xmax. That calculator says they need 82.39 inches. So I was running roughly 15 percent less port area than that calculator says to and loved it. So if i do 250 square inches this time I will be about 17 percent less than the calculator. I think that will work out great on 5k clamped per sub with drivers side ported wall.

2000 Toyota Camry With Sealed Off Trunk

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Gathering Parts For Wall Build.

Team DC Audio 2014 Member