Second Skin Audio

Fiberglassing inside of enclosure... Alternatives?

TZspeakersZac

Hey, so I'm building myself a new enclosure for spring, so as to accommodate higher power and more displacement. While I do have a lot of enclosure construction experience, I am stumped on this one. I plan to build a new 4th order (B-pillar wall, has to stay in vehicle) with a larger port and more bracing (already eliminated modifying current enclosure). My difficulty is not in the building of the enclosure, but in the finishing. Now, in the past I used to use fiberglass resin on the inside of boxes to reduce box rise and help increase my airflow. I would just crawl in the port, turn on a big ass fan to suck the fumes out, and go to town. Because of recent health occurrences, I am unable to inhale any fumes from resin even through a mask, because my lungs will collapse. Is there some alternative to resin I can use to achieve a similar effect? I'm willing to give up little bit of SPL to live, but not too much haha. And yes, I am aware that crawling into a complete box to resin was dangerous to begin with, but at the time I didn't think anything of it.

Nah man, it's cuz of the bass.

No fumes at all?

Could paint it

Specifically the fumes from resin. I guess there's some chemical in the fumes that irritates blebs. I swear to god that's what they're called and apparently they make my lungs unstable. My concern with painting is I have no idea what kind of paint to get.

Secound skin spectrum could work..from what I heard it doesnt have too much of a smell.. I would say that if you really want resin just ask a family member or friend to help you out. Its simple enough..kickem down a few bucks..or if youre deadset on doin it yourself go with spectrum..about 70 bucks a gallon

You need trunk space to get groceries and shit...bitches love groceries

I like all of those ideas, I think I'll test them small scale before I do it on my wall. I am absolutely deadset on doing this myself. Always have, always will. I'm still open to other suggestions if anyone has some! Additionally, I still need to know what type of paint I could use, if anyone has done it. Otherwise I'll just test different types.

Get a high quality respirator. I dont typically resin the inside of enclosures

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Get a high quality respirator. I dont typically resin the inside of enclosures

I literally cannot get anywhere near to inhaling these fumes, which is the issue. It's specific to resin and other things of that nature (polyurethane, etc...). That mask slips for a half a second and I'm done. Paint fumes are okay as long as I am in a ventilated area. What do you use on the inside of enclosures if anything? If you don't use anything, what materials do you build with?

I build with mdf mostly. I just dont see the need to coat anything if you have good cuts and edges. You could always look into laminate films if you want it super smooth. Like counter top laminates etc

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived