Small Living Room, Box Design Help. Sub Poll Added.

Which Subwoofer  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which Subwoofer for my home setup? Specs are in first post.

• Dayton Ultimax
    • Dayton Titanic

I am preferring the Titanic Mk 4:

My reasoning for:

• Santoprene surround, these surrounds should not degrade or become brittle as the butyl rubber surround of the Ultimax (over a long time).
  • Paper/Kevlar cone, as I am not too sure how well glass fiber will sound like, and is a heavier cone.
  • The BL is higher.
  • Edgewound voice coil.

Reasons for the Ultimax:

• The inductance is much lower.
  • It has copper shortening rings instead of aluminum
  • Has black anodized aluminum former and pole -couldn't find these on the Titanic-.

I don't necessarily want to say which might be able to play lower, just because of obvious reasons.

But after viewing the datasheets from Dayton I am wondering who has the correct parameters between the two, as the Fs changes a considerable amount, and a few others are different.

I also know that even the same driver can have pretty different parameters.

Ultimax: http://www.daytonaudio.com/media/resources/295-512-dayton-audio-um12-22-specifications.pdf

Titanic: http://www.daytonaudio.com/media/resources/295-403-dayton-audio-ts320d-4-spec-sheet-revised.pdf (the link says revised spec sheet so maybe these are the correct TSP)

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

if u have carpet build a big ported box. specs say 4 cubes i think and fire it towards a wall and port as far in the corner as possible. i would tune mid 20s and i would go for that ultimax.. looks sexy

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth.. oh.. wait.. naw.. that wasnt weird..

He probably tearin dat ass up every night. Reason for "insomnia" Ain't sleeping cause he's like a horny hamster on coke.

2000 grand prix gtp: SOLD My Home Theater Build (working progress) 2002 accord coupe

subs: 2 soundqubed hds300 12s 4'1" towers tuned to 29hz sub: AQ hdc3 12

Amp: pioneer gm9061 amp: poineer gm9601

headunit: kenwood kdc 255u mids: SQ pro mids

midbass: polk db 8s highs: stock

mids/highs: shitty off brand

With either driver you won't be dissapointed.

If you plan on building the setup and then leaving it there (yeah right lol), then the Titanic will be my suggestion.

But if you are going exclusively for just sub to infrasonic frequencies, the Ultimax might serve a little better purpose, of course the enclosure will determine the response.

If you plan on playing a considerable amount of music as well, I still suggest the Titanic Mk IV.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

Maybe consider a stronger amp?

A Friend of mine went to parts express here in ohio to buy the same setup and ended up being sold on the dayton 1000 watt plate amp by a parts express guy. Not sure about his ported box besides the fact that it is huge and the amp goes into clipping or at least its clipping indicator comes on all the time and the woofer is barely moving. To be fair his lights are dimming so a dedicated breaker might help?

Edit: His sub is the ultimax, also sorry for the post not answering any of your questions.

Maybe consider a stronger amp?

A Friend of mine went to parts express here in ohio to buy the same setup and ended up being sold on the dayton 1000 watt plate amp by a parts express guy. Not sure about his ported box besides the fact that it is huge and the amp goes into clipping or at least its clipping indicator comes on all the time and the woofer is barely moving. To be fair his lights are dimming so a dedicated breaker might help?

Edit: His sub is the ultimax, also sorry for the post not answering any of your questions.

Pretty sure his box or the way its faced is the problem. 500 watts on a 12 in a room as small as mine will be plenty.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

If you are wondering anything about placement of the sub and other drivers, this is a good place to start determining it.

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Room_acoustics.html#Where_should

Archived