Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

advantages of birch over blondewood?


jeffrm

Recommended Posts

Posted

Around here birch is $15 more than mdf, and im wondering what the advantages are of birch over mdf. I know it is lighter and stronger, but is there any other choices besides birch? Like primed blondewood? If someone has a link to a discussion please post it. Just trying to make sure it's worth the extra money.

03 tahoe z71

4 death penalty 18s

2 ampere audio 3800s @ .5 each

18v

156.7 @ 35hz

158.5 @ 50hz

Posted

I know its better, but im wondering if theres any major difference in blondewood and birch. The primed blondewood here is super slick wood on one side and primed on the other. Im thinking there would be no major differences, but I know anything is better than mdf.

03 tahoe z71

4 death penalty 18s

2 ampere audio 3800s @ .5 each

18v

156.7 @ 35hz

158.5 @ 50hz

Posted

actually i dont think it is above and beyond stronger, since MDF is more dense, it retains better acoustical properties (iirc).

if you have suspension issues, use birch, if not, get double the mdf for the price. and when you say birch, i hope you dont mean the home depot stuff with all the voids in it.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Posted

I don't want to have to buy double the mdf when I can go one layer of birch with braces and be good, and Id spend less money doing single birch that I would double MDF. this is going to be a wall for 4 15s, I don't want to have so much weight that I have to have 4 people to help me get the box in. it's going to be externally braced with 2x4s, so the ligher I can make the actual box will be better.

03 tahoe z71

4 death penalty 18s

2 ampere audio 3800s @ .5 each

18v

156.7 @ 35hz

158.5 @ 50hz

Posted

but my main question is what's the difference between blondewood and birch? I can get the blondewood cheaper

03 tahoe z71

4 death penalty 18s

2 ampere audio 3800s @ .5 each

18v

156.7 @ 35hz

158.5 @ 50hz

Posted

i dont think he ment double up on mdf for strengh i think he ment u could get 2 sheets of mdf for the cost of one of birch

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

Posted

Ive never even heard.of blondewood

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Posted

Mdf is $34, birch is $51, & blondewood is $47.

The blondewood I looked at has alot of layers. One side is primed, other is sanded smooth.

03 tahoe z71

4 death penalty 18s

2 ampere audio 3800s @ .5 each

18v

156.7 @ 35hz

158.5 @ 50hz

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 5337 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...