Sundown Audio

distortion does nothing to amp?

diegoclass2010

what's up guys im having an argument with some guy that wants to buy some amps off me. told him amps were set with a dd-1 so he know amps never saw distortion. this guy says distortion does not harm amp in any way. so i tell him distortion plays a roll in next to clipping that will make the amps work harder lower voltage and will heat up an amp and burn up coils. dude says hes built amps and then hit me with the scientific suff ill post it in a sec.... but what are your guys opinions. some one with this knowledge please chime in. im intrigued to hear about this

"the amp works less under clipping. it drives the output toward a square way which reduces voltage across the output device and reduces the amount of heat they produce. the power supply will end up working a little bit harder but only by about %20 this is for class AB amplifiers only. class D ruin square wave all the time and thus have different set of characteristics when they clip. Class D the power supply will work about twice as hard but the amp itself will work no harder. now if you wish to continue this argument I'm happy to but thats the facts."

under clipping and distortion the amp works harder and produces more heat while pulling away more voltage no idea scientifically but from personal experience i have clipped an amp and sub before was getting major voltage drops and lots of heat from the amp. also blew the subs i was using

once you get a speaker moving so hard that its possible to make tinsels slap, you are already kissing "SQ" goodbye. :D

Don't get me wrong, as I smoke Marlboro Reds, but if I saw one more kid with that smug-ass look (Look at me I'm smoking indoors) on their face, I was going to shove that thing so far up someone's ass that they'd look like a hillbilly trying to understand quantitative prediction theorem.

You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.

under clipping and distortion the amp works harder and produces more heat while pulling away more voltage no idea scientifically but from personal experience i have clipped an amp and sub before was getting major voltage drops and lots of heat from the amp. also blew the subs i was using

yup same thing i was saying,,, i still think dude is lying, wish some one with knowledge in the subject would chime in

Yo ass is wrong

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Archived