Mechman Alternators

is it necessary change my belt for my mechman 270?

Ive had my Mechman 270 running off my stock belt for a while now, about over a year .. i recently had my alt losing a charge with no load on the alt just driving with my radio off..and it will drop to 12.4 randomly and then jump back to 14.1..it will only drop to 12.4 when i rev up to 2krmp ,so mainly on the freeway..ive never had this problem with my alt..as the days went on the problem got worse now i only charged at 12.4 no matter how fast or slow i was going...so i took my alt out and put my STOCK ALT back in..and had no issues at all i was charging at 14.1 all day and my stock alt was preforming wayy better than my 270 .I called mechman and they said my belt is slipping..so i said im not sure if thats the problem the belt was very tight..long story short I sent my mechman in for repair or for them to check it out and they have had it for about 5 days..i have not got my alt back but should i buy a smaller belt when i do get it back?, if so whats the best belt? alot of people all run their stock belt on their dc alts and mechman alts and had no problems im not sure why i had the problem... any input or advice will help ....alot of you guys run multiple alts and know your stuff someone please shine some light over here so i can see a bit more clearly

Edited by leonfowler

2004 Chevy Trailblazer LT

Walled- 10.5 cubes net tuned 33Hz

2-15 inch AA Team subs D2

Americanbass- 750.1

1 yellowtop under the hood , 4 c&d 88ah batteries in rear

mechman-270

pioneer headunit-4200UB

4 soundqubed supertweeters

phoenix gold 2 channel

back up camera

stinger volt meter

22 years old and still have alot to learn..lets get it

the spring broke from my tensioner but its still very tight ....my stock alt isnt slipping at all but my mechman did.. i did buy a new tensioner but its still in my room because i wanted to see if it was my tensior but it doesnt seem like that was the problem ...im kinda lost..but i will put the new tensioner in when i get my alt back

Americanbass- 750.1

mechman-270

pioneer headunit-4200UB

phoenix gold 2 channel

back up camera

stinger volt meter

well if mechman had to fix the alternator then thats the problem dude!

BTW did you go to the show last weekend?

thats the thing they have gave me no info what was the problem..so im waiting they might just send that shit right back to me lol

Americanbass- 750.1

mechman-270

pioneer headunit-4200UB

phoenix gold 2 channel

back up camera

stinger volt meter

belt wont really slip at freeway speeds....shouldn't be charging that low, probably an alternator problem especially since you're saying the belt was tight

thats what i was thinking, do you have an aftermarket belt for your alt?

Americanbass- 750.1

mechman-270

pioneer headunit-4200UB

phoenix gold 2 channel

back up camera

stinger volt meter

With ANY alternator install granted you follow the instructions a NEW belt is a must high output or not.

As for -Belt Condition- For best performance It is recommended that you use a NEW PREMIUM belt when installing a high output alternator.

e.g GOODYEAR GATORBACK , GATES GREEN STRIPE

-Belt Tension-High Output Alternators will require More effort to turn. This requires not only that the belt be in good condition,but that it is properly tensioned.

Poor belt tension can lead to belt slip and WILL reduce the performance of the alternator.

- Belt Length- Most High Output alternators will require a shorter length in order to provide proper belt tension. This makes up for the smaller diameter pulley used on most High Output alternators