Second Skin Audio

Anyone want to check my work?

bumpinTL364

Hey guys, I just wanted to make sure I have everything right with this box before I go ahead and build it. It's going to be for 2 RE SEX 10" woofers on 1200 watts of RE power. Plugged into the torres calc, here's what I got:

Outer Dimensions: 16"H x 38"W x 15"D

Port Inner Dimensions: 6"H x 6"W x 26"L

Woofer Displacement: .28ft^3

Bracing Displacement: .093ft^3

Port volume and area: .82ft^3 36in^2

Port tuning: 32.66hz

Net Vol: 3.03ft^3

Gross Vol: 4.13ft^3

And here are the pics of how it's going to look. This is using the idea of "extending" a square port where a regular slot port would bend. What are your thoughts? I'm kinda worried about port noise, so I added the triangular piece where the two "extensions" meet and feed into the full port. Any ideas on how big I should make that piece though? Also, do you think the 45s I put in the "L" the port extensions make are worth adding? Alright, so on with the pics:

kirabox1.png

kirabox2.png

kirabox3.png

Thanks for looking, any input is very appreciated!!!

masterbation is free, and even saves you money.sorry but someone had to say it

sorry, Jimmy...beat you to it (no pun intended)

LOLDON'T get a wife. Best advice I never got, and now it's too late <_<

My build: 12" DCON in a dorm room.

New/current build: 8" woofer, custom amplifier block, fiberglassed speaker pods

increasing port area seemed to bring my tuning wayyyyyy up, I will check again though

edit: just re-checked on torres, brought port up to 8x8 and port length to 12" and tuning went up to 54hz… Zero common port walls is the right way to have torres for a square port, correct?

Looks great but it is not quite practical in terms of building the port like that, you would be better off using pvc pipe in place if the square port which would be more efficient.

I would use 2 pieces of 4" pvc pipe as the ports in between the subs as you have it shown tuned to what you think would best suite your taste.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Always wanted to use a square port because they look so goddamn sexy, only problem I have with PVC aeros is how to mount them securely…I guess I could buy legit aeros, but aren't they pretty pricey?

huh, good to know…only thing is I can't think of a great way to mount PVC pipes. I know aeros have those flanges that you can use to mount, but I have no idea where to find them...

Use a hole saw for round pvc, i use 4 1/2" for a 4" pipe and epoxy it in place and round over the opening so there are no sharp edges.

I place both ports in the center of the box between the subs and have the ports centered with equal amounts of space above and below them to allow air to flow between them, it allows the subs to use a common chamber but each sub acts as if it is in it's own chamber.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

holy dickballs, just threw in the specs for a pair of 4" aeros at 10.5" long each and tuning dropped to 19hz….needless to say it looks like this is the way I'll be going…will modify my sketchup and put up pics when its done. For spacing are you saying you like to have everything equal height top to bottom and even space horizontally between the subs and both ports? I'm thinking of orienting them one on top of the other, I think I see what you're saying. Will be back up with pics in a bit

edit: a pair of 4" aeros would need to be 2" long each to get to my desired tuning…is it fine to have this little port area and length? 3 4" aeros at 4" long gets me a to 32hz on torres, but again this seems like a minuscule amount of port area and length to me...

Archived