Would this power supply work for home?

I'm gonna build a little radio for work, and as a small project for the hell of it.. Just a headunit and possibly small 2-channel amp. By small I mean 100w x 2 or less. Would something like this be sufficient to power it?

http://www.parts-express.com/12v-dc-29a-348w-regulated-switching-power-supply--320-315

Any help would be great! Hard topic to search on here. All I find are PC units and I'm not looking to dick around with those.

'11 Jeep Patriot New Build

Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD

Front: Massive CK69 Components

Front Amp: Massive NX2

Rears: Infinity Kappa's

Subs: 8 Sundown SA-8 v2's

Sub Amp: AB 450.1

XS D3100

Come on 150!

I think that would be fine if you're not going to be cranking the volume all the way up. Obviously the amp isn't operating at 100% efficiency, so it will be pulling more than 200W to output that 100Wx2.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

• Output power: 12 VDC, 29A

amp should have nothing more than 30 amps of fusing on it. otherwise you're probably going to trip the protection all the time with a bigger amp since you wont know how much current you're drawing

Thanks.. That's why I ask. I'll spend the little extra coin if someone has a better route. I just wanna stay clear of sketchy computer PSU's. I've burnt one up and read plenty more horror stories. I'll be leaving this thing at work. So I don't want to risk fires and shit.

XS D3100

Come on 150!

Add the fusing together of the amp and HU and if it's less than 29 you should be fine. Either way add a small battery or the power supply won't last as long.

I'm doing the same in the hutch of my tool box. 30 amp Tripp Lite power supply~scooter battery~small Kenwood old school two channel~PG RSD6 components in a ported fiberglass box suspended from the ceiling of the hutch. Using iPod as input. All gear is take outs from customer vehicles.

Static drops are my bag.

But the head unit shouldn't be drawing anywhere near its fuse rating if using an external amp, no? Just sending a low level signal to the amp.

XS D3100

Come on 150!

I've been using a ps3 power supply to power my RF 250.1 in my room at 1ohm for 2 years or so and it has no problems whatsoever. It's rated at 32A at 12V.

You can get them for about $10 on ebay too.

Don't mind the test probes going to the amp, was testing something earlier.

1524224_646056945457100_557898052_o.jpg

I've been using a ps3 power supply to power my RF 250.1 in my room at 1ohm for 2 years or so and it has no problems whatsoever. It's rated at 32A at 12V.

Never thought of this.. Does it get pretty warm? I've heard of people using the brick from an Xbox.. But they said it started making loud noises under load after time and heated up a bit

XS D3100

Come on 150!

Never thought of this.. Does it get pretty warm? I've heard of people using the brick from an Xbox.. But they said it started making loud noises under load after time and heated up a bit

It's slightly warm to the touch, although there are times when I've pushed it so hard that it was burning hot, it still kept playing though. I don't even have a fan on it, so I'm sure with a fan it wouldn't get warm at all.

The xbox bricks aren't as beefy as the ps3 psus are. I used to reflow consoles so I got to tear a bunch of them apart :)

Double post

Archived