copper lug/ring terminal hole size and tech flex size?

It is ABSOLUTELY critical that you use the exact correct size hole in the ring terminal to fit the stud you are putting it on.

That is one of the biggest problems we have with audio customers, everyone wants to use a 3/8 hole in their ring terminals because "one size fits all"

The problem with that, is if you use a 3/8 ring terminal on a smaller 1/4 stud, you have only a sliver of contact area on the inside of the ring terminal hole. This limited contact area creates resistance, which creates heat. We have tons of ring terminals actually melted off because the hole was too large for the stud. It was such a problem, that about 15 years ago , we started including the properly sized heavy duty pure copper ring terminal to perfectly fit the output stud with every alternator we sell. Even today, some people disregard the notes in the instruction sheet in bold print that says to use the included ring terminal. They end up using the existing flimsy car audio style ring terminal with an oversize hole because they already did their "big 3" upgrade on their stock alternator, and they end up melting the output stud off the alternator.

The moral of the story - buy heavy duty, thick 1/4" hole ring terminals, and use a uni-bit to enlarge the hole for each individual connection so that the hole in the ring terminal is barely large enough to go over the stud.

Interesting information!! Awesome thank you for the response helps out a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

I do the same. What doesn't get used lands in the boneyard bin. If i only order one size it's a 1/4 hole. I've got a step bit and a bench vise for the other sizes

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I do the same. What doesn't get used lands in the boneyard bin. If i only order one size it's a 1/4 hole. I've got a step bit and a bench vise for the other sizes

This is the easiest way. Just get 1/4 inch and drill as needed.

Does this same advice apply to bus bars and power wiring? Match studs/hex bolts diameter to ring terminal diameter?

Yes. Space left around a connection will cause a bit of resistance

Archived