Well I am just glad the admins didnt delete this post and just decided to move it :) thanks guys. I found out that the voltage drop is due to the cars "smart" ability. When it does not need the power, it will only push out 12.2 volts. As soon as you turn on something electrical, say headlights, it will go to 13.5.adding the heater on with the fan 4/7 of the way will push it to 14.2. I still ordered the new battery though.

get a nice agm battery, something that has a resting voltage of 12.6-12.8v

I would want an external voltage regulator in your situation for sure then. get away from that pcm controlled alt. it is nothing but a headache.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Less voltage means.less reliability and less power.

Ti get more voltage like your saying you would need to turn on a bunch of other thing. I like it simple. Set the charging voltage.and leave it alone.

Also 12.2 is battery voltage, IMO a car should always put out more then battery voltage fire several reasons including better spark and all around performance from the car alone.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

The big three didn't help my truck charge higher but it did help sustain voltage with less drop.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Keep in mind the PCM control only controls the voltage not the amperage. Plus if you EXTERNALLY regulate the alternator you will have a battery light on the dash plus you may lose some of the vehicle comforts

Get a amp clamp style multi meter and turn everything on in the vehicle then clamp the positive side cable at the alternator. What is the year make and model of your vehicle?

Archived