The dumbest thing you've ever done while working on your vehicle?

Tightening down batt terminal on optima blue top. Ratchet slipped and connected the + & -. Ratchet touched the ceiling and almost hit me in the head on the way down.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

the dumbest thing I have done was ask a friend for help and advise on subs. I told him I was getting 2 dual 4ohm subs and was going to wire them up to a 2k amp to a final load of 1 ohm. He then stated why are you going to do that dual voice coil subs are worthless, you will have bass and mid coming from the same speaker and it will sound like ass. never buy duel voice coil subs only buy single because you don't need full range out of a sub there 100% crap....and yes I tried to explain it to him about dual coils but he is so thick headed he would not listen. All this happened as he was trying to tell me how to install a LOC (wich was also wrong)

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Was drilling a hole for a tweeter and wasn't holding the drill firmly, the drill spun and socked me a good one to the jaw

06 monte carlo

2 12 rockford p3s

soundstream rubicon 2500

crescendo audio mezzo 6.5

ct sounds 125.4

execution audio and shca wiring

2 xs d3400 on stock alt

Once I had to help my uncle jump-start a tractor, but my large-gauge jumper cables were out of commission (an alligator clamp came off). So, being the wise man I was, I decided to use the backup cables, which were designed by city folk, apparently, as they were evidently meant to jump small cars to small cars, to jump a 95 Dodge Ram with a Cummins to a John Deere 4430. Yeah, it worked... Mostly. After the tractor finally started, I went to unhook the cables and I couldn't touch them for more than about five seconds at a time, they were so hot. They smelled like melting rubber. To cool them off, I just left them in the back of my truck while I drove the 5 miles home instead of putting them back in my toolbox. (which could have been bad, something might have caught fire in there)

I've torched a wrench before by gapping terminals on a battery.

I was driving my 92 Jeep Wrangler a couple summers back, and as I went to put it into gear and leave a gas station, the clutch ground on something, and the shifter almost wouldn't go into gear. Well, I couldn't figure out what the hell had happened. Turns out, Jeeps need clutch fluid. Who knew? So, I had my dad help me get it back into running order. He added the fluid, and I pumped the clutch while he bled the lines. As I was pumping, PING! Something popped. The clutch pedal dropped to the floor, and when I looked under the dash to investigate, I found that the clutch return spring had popped off it's holder. FML, now I had to deal with that.

- 1971 C/10 - 250 I/6, NP435, manual everything, old farm truck, single family owned. Massive Summo 6.5" in .93 cubes sealed, on 300~ watts. 

- 1995 Ram 2500 - 12-Valve Cummins, ATS Stage 4 auto; timing advanced, fuel plate and injectors, 4" turbo-back; Pioneer DEH-X6700BT HU, looking at a T-line for two Summo 6.5s on 750~

- 1949 Crosley rat rod project - '49 station wagon body on a '89 Dodge D350 chassis, shortened three feet and bagged w/ triangulated four link under the rear; 1974 Caddy 472 C.I. V8 powerplant, ST400 trans from a '67 Buick Wildcat. All work done by yours truly.

I was soldering some lugs on one day with my blowtorch and I thought I heard my name so I turned around and I tipped the torch. Next thing I know I smell hair burning and felt something getting hot, it was my leg. I have also had fiberglass resin all over my arm (about a dollar bill size) and it hardened. Worst hour if my life getting it off. Not my best days working on my car.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

Tried to open up bolt hole in a ring terminal with my big ass dewalt drill while I was holding the term. It wrapped my finger around the bit, took out a little chunk of meat and ripped the skin on my knuckle. Was swolled and hurt like a bitch for a week or two afterwards.

Put it in a bench vice or set the drill to one of the torque-limiting settings to when it grabs it won't take your hand with it. Also: Stepped drill bits work great for this purpose ;)

image_11970.jpg

A wrench touching negative of a g31 to positive of another g31 got me a big bumped on my head . Hit trunk lid when I jumped scared as shit haha...

Also spent 2 hours n went through 4 drill bits to drilled a hole thru firewall for 0g... To not even use it !!!! Found a bigger hole already there 10 mins after I was done lol

A wrench touching negative of a g31 to positive of another g31 got me a big bumped on my head . Hit trunk lid when I jumped scared as shit haha...

Also spent 2 hours n went through 4 drill bits to drilled a hole thru firewall for 0g... To not even use it !!!! Found a bigger hole already there 10 mins after I was done lol

Hooking up my door speakers and put neg to pos then wondering why when I turned it up it cuts off. Then thinking something is wrong with my amp cause it goes into protect.

XS Power D5100, 2 D2700s, & 2 D975s

MechMan 220a Alt

DC 5K

Kicker 650.4

2 12 Ascendant Audio Mayhem's

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD

Rockford Fosgate 3sity.1

Build log: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166792-88-nissan-maxima-trunk-build/#entry2430899

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/191439-lexus-is300-fi-crescendo-shca-rf-pics/

I have done that and it scared the shit out of me luckily I didn't hit my head haha

XS Power D5100, 2 D2700s, & 2 D975s

MechMan 220a Alt

DC 5K

Kicker 650.4

2 12 Ascendant Audio Mayhem's

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD

Rockford Fosgate 3sity.1

Build log: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166792-88-nissan-maxima-trunk-build/#entry2430899

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/191439-lexus-is300-fi-crescendo-shca-rf-pics/

Archived