Sundown Audio

2 Ch. amp question

Purpleheart91

That doesn't make sense to me. 4 channel yes as I am doing it but 2 ?

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Well then, don't run different subs like that pending what you want (louder?) The single 12 in a proper box on it's own amp should be much louder.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Well the reasons for running different subs are:

1. They are the subs I already owned, don't have to pay for something new.

2. The 8" sub is being used because it (and it's enclosure) can fit behind the panel where the stock sub used to be (saves me space and looks clean).

3. Running a single 8" sub doesn't offer the level of bass I would like to have so I want to add the 12" sub.

If I delete the 8" and just run the 12" then it will not fit in the space where the stock sub was at. Often I need to use my Explorer to move materials and tools. When I need the space I can take the 12" enclosure out and still have the 8" in place.

Why would you say the 2 different subs would cancel each other out? Most systems run 2 subs and the only way they would cancel each other out is if one was out of phase from the other. If you mean that the 8" would not be as loud as the 12" then yes that is true but they would still add to each other just as two different sized speakers do in any other application. There are many systems that have different sized speakers covering the same frequency range.

O, so build a proper box for the 12 leave the 8 in. just run the 12 off the amp while it's in (disconnect the 8") the when needed connect the 8 and take the 12 out.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Well that is a good option and one that I had considered. I just figured if there was no danger in running the 2 Ch. amp at different loads then I could just run them both and pull out the 12" sub when needed. That way I don't need to mess with disconnecting the 8" sub from the amp and wiring up the 12" sub frequently. The 8" sub enclosure is behind the panel so the only way to disconnect it is to disconnect the wires at the amp. My third option I had considered was running the 12" DVC sub on only one voice coil so they would both have a 4 Ohm load (as I mentioned earlier) but doing that sacrifices the performance of the 12" sub.

Does that make sense?

Either way you would have to disconnect and reconnect wired fir the 12" would only take 5sec longer to do the same thing with the 8" while doing the wires for the 12.

What 12", 8", and amp any way?

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

Normally I would not mix loads like that but quite frankly the system I put in the Explorer was just enough to get decent sound out of and I tried to keep the cost down. I installed a Pioneer AVH3500BHS head unit, a Pioneer GM-D8604 1200 watt 4 ch. amp for the mids and highs, 2 pair of Pioneer TS-D6802R 6"x8" speakers for the stock door panel locations, 2 Pair of Pioneer TS-D1720 6.5" component speaker for add on speaker in the door panels (front and back), a BOSS Audio BX55 3 way crossover, a Lanzar VBP251 amp to run the sub and a Pioneer TS-SW841D 8" shallow mount sub to go where the stock sub was. Everything fits nice and neat in stock locations or in the case of the 6.5" nice and neat taking little or no space. The only problem is the little 8" sub cannot push enough bass for the large area of the Explorer. With the exception of the Lanzar VBP251 amp and the Pioneer AVH3500BHS head unit I already had everything from the previous system I had in my 93 Camaro and the 6"x8" speakers I had put in the Explorer awhile back. The 12" sub I also already had and since I was completely rebuilding the system in the Camaro, I used all the stuff from that for the Explorer.

Archived