why dont more people use caps

before you start flaming me im talking about the caps that snowdrifter used in his build and im pretty sure that AMI is using something similar too it seems price/performance is way better than a massive bank of batteries with snow only have one d1400 and a cap bank he only drops like .2v

am i missing something

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged

$$$

honestly i was looking at them on ebay (i was just reading your build) and versus a battery to get the same performance it actually seems like the caps are cheaper

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged

Because it's not like just throwing in a battery. There's more to understand. Even I don't fully understand them

im not trying to insult anyones intelligence but its just electricity unless there is some mythical creature that you have to slay before you hook everything up and save the princess series = multiply voltage by 2 and parallel = multiply your reserve by 2

maybe im missing something and im the idiot im just going by what ive observed it seems like a small (2-3) battery bank coupled with a sizable cap bank would be the end all be all to electrical systems

Not good ones. The cap market right now is no good. If I were to build mine again, in todays market, it would be costing me in the neighborhood of $750. AMIs would be in the 4 grand range, going off of current ebay prices

i had no idea.... even for the people with 1200 amps of charging and 5 grand in batteries seems like they could have been wiser with money

i know there arent many people that have that but you know what i mean

Because it's not like just throwing in a battery. There's more to understand. Even I don't fully understand them

im not trying to insult anyones intelligence but its just electricity unless there is some mythical creature that you have to slay before you hook everything up and save the princess series = multiply voltage by 2 and parallel = multiply your reserve by 2

maybe im missing something and im the idiot im just going by what ive observed it seems like a small (2-3) battery bank coupled with a sizable cap bank would be the end all be all to electrical systems

Capacitors aren't the end all. Not by many means. They have an advantage over batteries in that they don't have a resting voltage. Batteries only really work below their resting voltage, around 13v. Which means once you exceed your alternator's output, you'll drop to 13 and go down from there (generalization). Capacitors don't have that. If you exceed your alt's output, you will immediately begin drawing from your capacitors, and they will slowly discharge as long as you are drawing from them. Once the draw subsides, they will draw power from your alt to charge back up.

But their weakness is capacity. While it is true they have a lower internal resistance than batteries, they can't sustain any sort of long term output like batteries can. This is because they store their energy with a difference in electrons between two plates, like static vs. a battery which stores the potential to create power via a chemical reaction.

Also: Unlike a lead acid battery, you absolutely positively cannot overcharge these under any circumstance. If a capacitor is rated at 2.7v, you don't exceed 2.7v. I know a lot of us in car audio like to charge our batteries at 15v+ and push the limits. You can't do this with capacitors. A battery will "gas" a bit, most don't see it as a big deal, that's why we can do it.

Because of this overcharging issue, you also need a balancing circuit for the capacitors. Since most have a 10% tolerance, it is possible to wire up a bank without a balancing circuit, charge them up, and have a .54v difference between two capacitors. What this means is you can have some in the bank that are "slacking" and other that are being overcharged. Once again, not really an issue in a lead/acid battery. But overcharged capacitors either lose their effectiveness or go boom.

Oh yeah... A balancing circuit is something that equalizes the voltage within the capacitor bank so they all read equally.

Purely IMO, it's also not good practice to charge a cap bank up to the maximum voltage. Leave some wiggle room. My could on paper be charged to 18.9v, but I only ever have it up at 16.5v maximum. It will extend the life of the capacitors and decrease the likelihood that any one capacitor in the bank will become overcharged.

I'll also say this: Music is generally considered a 50% duty cycle. Since capacitors don't store a ton of power for long term drains, you'll want to keep this in mind and match your bank with your current draw and alternator output. If you are dropping to 12v with batteries and staying there, caps won't do much for you. You'll need batteries that can hold up to a long-term drain

Archived