Second Skin Audio

Anybody know what could be causing this noise?

Amart88

This may sound straight retarded but...

I have been having this annoying noise in my wall (so i think) for a few months. It seems to be getting a lot more persistant. Especially with the system not hooked up for the winter.

Every time I hit a bump or a dip in the road there is a small snapping sound coming from back there somewhere. It sounds like it is coming from the rear of the enclosure or so it seems. Does it sometimes when I hit the brakes also. Not extremely loud but loud enough to notice when the music is not turned up.

I have tried many times to find out what is causing it to no avail. I can grab my baffles and shake the whole damn truck and it will not make the sound. I even tried jumping on my back bumper and still nothing. The only reason I am trying to find it is because it never used to do this and as time goes my it seems to be doing It a lot more. Seems almost like it does it with up/down motion.

Any ideas to what it could be? Or things I could do or check? :ughdunno: Really irritating.

It's bolted through the floor over the alxe where the cargo hooks were.

Broken shock or spring loose body mounts.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Broken shock or spring loose body mounts.

Just installed new shocks and the springs were fine.

It sounds like it's coming form inside of the truck or enclosure. High pitched snapping not like a thud or knock.

Just trying to maybe figure it out lol.

sounds like a screw creaking.. just gonna have to do your best to try and narrow it down

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

Might have a freind help to listen while you try to recreate the conditions that cause the noise.

Since it sounds like it happenes when the chasis moves up and down it may be related to your suspension.

Have you noticed any difference in the ride quality at all?

Sorry for not knowing but what kind of car do you drive? You may consider looking up some TSB's if you cant find any problem

Might have some cracked sheet metal under the box and when you hit something just hard enough you hear it which might be why you can't replicate it. I would get under it and really check closely for signs of fatigue and cracking, use the most powerful lights you can find or buy to make your inspection cause finding small cracks can be pretty hard.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

sounds like a screw creaking.. just gonna have to do your best to try and narrow it down

Sounds more like what it could be. Don't know how though as everything is glued and glassed to hell. Only things not glued are the plexi window and part of the third rear baffle around the window.

I also had the idea that maybe one of the bolts got a bit looser or someting and is alllowing the wall to slightly lift. Or that the sheet metal on the floor maybe lifts up around the bolts causing the floor to seperate a minute amount making the snap. Really just guesses. Don't want to break anything.

Well, I got under and checked the body yesterday where it is bolted, I did not see any visual cracks. The undercoat was flaking off around the bolts though. May possibly be flexing a bit around them.

I went for a small drive today, a lot of snow on the road, thing was doing it on every little rough spot. Now I just need to find some way to make it go away.

Anyone got any ways to brace it to the floor or truck in another way? I wish I had of PL'd it to the floor when I had the chance lol.

Does the noise emanate from the top or bottom?

In relation to your ears where does it sound as if it is coming from?

Lower?

Middle?

High?

How close does the sound appear to be to you from front to back?

Right behind you?

In/under the box?

Behind the box?

Once you answer those questions you'll have a better idea as where to look for the source of the problem cause it could very well be the box, or it could be the truck, or something completely different all together. Finding creaks and cracking noises can be problematic at times.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Archived