CleanSierra Posted February 22, 2014 Report Posted February 22, 2014 Hey guys, I just went to pull my baskets from my motors and I ran into a problem. These don't appear to have been reconed before since they had the plastic spider ring down clapped with Allen screws, but a couple screws appeared stripped looking as is. I thought, no big deal, I'll wiggle then loose with my impact and a lot of pressure. Nope, now I have two baskets that won't come free from the motors due to one having 1 stripped screw, the other having 2 stripped screws. I'm at a loss and don't know how to get these things free, the screws completely rounded over inside and I don't know how to get them out. Replacing the hardware is easy, I've got a place right down the road. I need these screws out so I can get my recones done. Anyone have a suggestion on how to get these screws out? I wonder if I could just send them in to Soundqubed and have them deal with it. I'm starting to think these subs are cursed. Any help is much appreciated. The subs are Soundqubed HDC3 10s. Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
CleanSierra Posted February 22, 2014 Author Report Posted February 22, 2014 P.S. Id really like to avoid sending them in to SQ because shipping is gonna suck Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
pa-pa-platypus Posted February 22, 2014 Report Posted February 22, 2014 be very careful doing this but, take a metal drill bit and drill very carefully straight down (emphasis on straight) into the screw then take a pair of pliers and twist the bit and hope the bit doesn't break lol i've done it this way before and it'll work just gotta be careful This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned 151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz 153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz power: dd m4
Tecomah Posted February 22, 2014 Report Posted February 22, 2014 I have heard a lot about these. They may work for you. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006YJKAPQ/ref=aw_d_dsc_hi 750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY Team Subsonic Lows
audiofanaticz Posted February 22, 2014 Report Posted February 22, 2014 Use a easy-out bit, should be able to find them at your local home improvment or hardware stores. You can get them in multiple brands, sizes, price, etc.. Just an example. http://www.tools-plus.com/irwin-53406.html?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=froogle&utm_term=HAN53406&gclid=CPvUk6HD3rwCFY07MgodaXcADw
audiofanaticz Posted February 22, 2014 Report Posted February 22, 2014 If the head of the screw is stripped, and you have a dremil, you can also go about cutting a straight slot in the head of the screw, as if it was a flathead screw, and take it out that way as well.. DO NOT use an impact on either method, the constant kicking of an impact driver strips the head. If anything use a drill, try on low speed first with lots of downwards pressure on the drill to prevent it from slipping out.
Jessica Posted February 22, 2014 Report Posted February 22, 2014 They also make reverse cut drill bits, if you go slow with them you can get them to bite enough to sometimes remove a bolt. It worked on my starter bolts on my 89 astro van. All else fails you can take it to a really good welder and have them tack a allen key in and then remove it that way. Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
ChevyBoy95 Posted February 22, 2014 Report Posted February 22, 2014 screw extractor, you can get them at home depot, made by ryobi, comes in a pack of 4 for like 10 bucks. Use them on 4 baskets so far, yet to have a fail. you drill out the specified hole in the top of the screw, and the extractors are reverse threaded so as the drill spins left, it squeezes into the hole and eventually gets enough friction and pressure to unscrew the screw. link! ---> http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/accessories/drilling_and_driving/A96SE05 Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's] BL : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/
audiofanaticz Posted February 22, 2014 Report Posted February 22, 2014 IMO drilling it out should be the last method of attempt after everything else has failed, and probably even before drilling the screw out Id break the head of the screw off so I could remove the basket, and than grip the bolt with a vicegrips and turn it out.. Gotta protect the threads in the top plate and like said if your not straight when drilling out the screw damage could happen.
Jessica Posted February 22, 2014 Report Posted February 22, 2014 do the heads stick up enough to put vice grips on them? Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.