Second Skin Audio

Stress on subwoofer at tuning

Dude2800

What is the rating on the resistors? Im assuming the frequency of the tone nor the volume it's played will be a factor since you are plotting the difference?

What is the rating on the resistors? Im assuming the frequency of the tone nor the volume it's played will be a factor since you are plotting the difference?

Yeah, I've used a 1K ohm resistor and it worked fine for this, I don't think it really critical what resistor you use. If you are interested in getting a mic, this is the one I have: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-umm-6-usb-measurement-microphone--390-808

Other than the mic all you need is a laptop. For software is use Room EQ Wizard (REW), its free and does the job very well. Its also very useful for lots of other acoustical measurements.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Here is a screen shot from REW of a measurement I did.

sde-12_zps00c224f7.png

The pink line is the output from the port, the purple line is the output from the cone.

As you can see its pretty easy to figure out what your tuning is from the graph.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

To visually represent what Bkolfo has said about the impedance graph, I'll repost Wick's measurements of his XL12's with his car door open.

For the techies ;), here's an impedance sweep of my sub-box with the cabin sealed up:

XL12InboxDoorClosedImpedance_zpsf8f2f786

Here's another sweep with the driver door open:

XL12InboxDoorOpenImpedance_zps639dcd52.j

Interesting that my tuning slightly got lower with the door open and the impedance at my upper peak dropped quite a bit, from 15ohms to 9 ohms.

That drop in impedance would definitely correlate to an increase in output :D

Link to his build log:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-1st-place-win-and-guess-who-got-a-50/page-50

Thanks for the quote Krakin :good:

To elaborate on the statement of in-car tuning being different then on paper and therefore not what you think it is:

Here are my box specs on paper

Boxspecs-final-portext_zpsf64f0bdd.jpg

You can see above what I'm actually tuned at. A difference of ~5Hz and would definitely be different for each vehicle being measured.

I would assume my rear window area continues to act like a port flare and lowers my tuning below (32Hz) what the box itself is actually tuned to (37Hz).

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

That video...is inaccurate.

Is it because of him just basically eyeballing it, or are you saying the method?

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

You can see above what I'm actually tuned at. A difference of ~5Hz and would definitely be different for each vehicle being measured.

I would assume my rear window area continues to act like a port flare and lowers my tuning below (32Hz) what the box itself is actually tuned to (37Hz).

The way Torres calculates port length for slot ports isn't the most accurate, it will pretty much always tune you lower than what it says. What you are saying about your rear window area is probably part of why you are tuned lower too. Lots of different factors will affect your tuning.

Builds:

You will find many times a box sitting outside the car still is not tuned exactly where you calculated.

There are many issue - end correction factor not 100% accurate, bends in ports change the tuning slightly, etc.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Archived