Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

18'' or 2, 12'' subs in small car/trunk build?


Recommended Posts

Posted

I have been back and forth trying to decide on which subs to run in the new build. (will get to equipment) 2000 chevy cavalier 4 door. This will be a trunk build with an operational backseat. I will have the right power in electrical and "about" 3200wrms in amps. I have heard the 2 12's on 800rms and man they slam hard. Only heard the 18 in large box just placed in backseat on 1600rms. I think the box is crappy but it slams like an Fi bl 18 should. The 12's are Lanzar Optidrive 1232d. I know for sure I could pull of a custom box for the Fi BL for the trunk. Run port up through rear deck. Not a problem. But, for what I have heard just from my own experience with the Optidrives, a good solid custom box will do just as much as the 18 would. ONLY because I couldn't give the BL the cubic feet it really needs.

So, for any body that is an owner of the BL or have experience with them, for the amount of space in my trunk (box could see 5 cubes inside) could I pull this off and finally have the upgraded system I've been waiting on? Or should I just use the 12's, customize a box, and sell the Fi BL?

For the 12's, I have had a new design for some time now. Just workin out some of the kinks before im ready to do the build. Each sub will be on its own amp. An Autotek 3200.1 @ 1 ohm. I will be running 4 XS XP950 batteries. And 250-270a alt. (unsure which one I want) All 1/0 Stinger Pro. Big 3.

This is going to be my 2nd build. Stepping it up a notch. I want to try out a bass race or other comp. It will be a daily. Not much for major spl. I will be doing demos, so more into shaking the life out of people. I like low tunes so probly will be around 30-33hz. These 12's can do every bit of what I am asking. I just cant believe I own a BL 18. Would definitely like to try it if it would work. But I don't want to ''keep a large dog in a small cage''. For the pro's, what do you think?

All designs and specific details about the build will be in the appropriate category for questions on the forum. This post is for opinions on a small trunk build. I don't have any experience with a Fi BL 18. Except what youtube has to offer. Im definitely open to ideas, and could compare to my design specs to see if there is options I missed as far as placement of equipment, box tunings, or anything else. I will start a build log just as soon as I decide what to run. I got some crazy ideas and am very skilled in carpentry. I have welders on standby ready for anything I can throw at them. Thanks fellas, hope you follow the build log.

Pioneer DEH-P5800MP

4-Kenwood 6.5's

2-Powerbass 6x9's

2-Autotek Street Machine 3200.1's

1-Autotek Street Machine 1400.4

2-12'' Lanzar Optidrives 1232d

1-XS Power 950 AGM Batt

1/0 AWG Stinger for Big 3

DB Link 4 AWG ran

Posted

If you place the BL inside the trunk it will probably need to be aiming up and that would be a no go, I would sell all the subs you have and get a couple of high end 12 subs. Ultimately it's your ears though, if you already liked the BL in the backseat then it's your prerogative to keep it there, it will need a 5 cube net box at least, tuned to what you want.

Posted

I think that 18 will want more air than you can give it.

In my mind, the only thing that might make it work is a small ratio 4th. A friend of mine has that same sub in a small 4th, about 7cf total. It sounds ok, but his 2 garbage 12's were much louder. He had a saz3000 on the Fi BL, and a 2500 on the 12's...

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I'm no pro by any means.

Posted

Ive seen the caveliers trunk and its extra small..keepbin mind the box would nee minimum 19" clearance in height and need to bee around 7 cubes gross to make a 5 cubes net with port and driver displacement ..sucks rite..I think some good 12s are the way to go..ive heard of lanzar but idk if their comp series is good or not..if you want a good spl sub you could always sell everything and get som sundown nightshades..

You need trunk space to get groceries and shit...bitches love groceries

Posted

Thanks guys for the tips. Lanzar is alright. I have been up against some nice systems with one of these 12's. And ive won votes over a 4-15 system and a couple 2-15 systems. Yes had big three. I know you think im blowin smoke but it is all about the build from my experience. So ive grown to be a big fan of lanzar...Just the Optidrive series. Yeah I don't want to punish this BL by putting it in the trunk in unproper box. Ive seen some cavaliers with an 18, but youtube don't do justice. If for any reason I could still pull off this build, let me know. Thanks

Pioneer DEH-P5800MP

4-Kenwood 6.5's

2-Powerbass 6x9's

2-Autotek Street Machine 3200.1's

1-Autotek Street Machine 1400.4

2-12'' Lanzar Optidrives 1232d

1-XS Power 950 AGM Batt

1/0 AWG Stinger for Big 3

DB Link 4 AWG ran

Posted

No way you're going to fit something for that 18 in the trunk, even if you built the box in the trunk. How would you go about mounting the sub itself? And if you're thinking about sliding the box in with the sub already in it, you're still limiting the air space then based on whether you slide it in from the front by folding the seats down or through the rear.

I vote for 2 12s in the trunk

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif
Posted

No way you're going to fit something for that 18 in the trunk, even if you built the box in the trunk. How would you go about mounting the sub itself? And if you're thinking about sliding the box in with the sub already in it, you're still limiting the air space then based on whether you slide it in from the front by folding the seats down or through the rear.

I vote for 2 12s in the trunk

Me too. The 18 I will put away and save for another build. Thanks

Pioneer DEH-P5800MP

4-Kenwood 6.5's

2-Powerbass 6x9's

2-Autotek Street Machine 3200.1's

1-Autotek Street Machine 1400.4

2-12'' Lanzar Optidrives 1232d

1-XS Power 950 AGM Batt

1/0 AWG Stinger for Big 3

DB Link 4 AWG ran

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2524 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...