Blazer Guys: Help Needed

So, I went and looked at this Blazer yesterday. My gut is telling me I should get it. It's a '99 RWD with 200k miles, been Carmax inspected, clean Carfax with no wrecks, engine bay is clean, interior is clean, it's just all around a great looking car. On the test drive, it ran and drove like silk; started right up, no knocks, no rattles, purred like a kitten. I have a friend of mine that's a mechanic, so naturally I started asking him what he thought. He's trying to talk me out of it, saying the transmission in those (the 4l60) has a lot of problems. It shifted fine when I drove it, but it just has me thinking; have any of you had any issues with yours? I really like it. I'm gonna look at it again tomorrow, let my dad drive it, and get a closer look at since we didn't spend much time on it yesterday. I'd really appreciate some input from some people with first hand experience.

Lane AKA HeroKight

'96 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4

R.I.P. Molliboo

$200 for new tires, on a jeep!? Is she stealing them or building them with a heat gun and rubber bands?

You hear that????

That's a category 5 shit storm coming

n8: hey you doing today. What's it like being a bitch? you can pm me if you'd like to explain why you arent one. Just like you did for your vs threads.

^^^Rules. Follow them.^^^

damn, i wish i could go deeper.

MY travels, MY road.

1999, with the 4.3.

Its starts like shit. but, it runs good. I get i wanna say 14-17 per.

So far, i just did my first oil, lube and filter since i owned it. LOL.

So far,... its running. I wish i knew more. :(

sorry. Buying used, is a bitch..........

Good luck, really i wish you best of luck bro.

I love mine. The 4l60 is a proven transmission same as the 4.3L. Don;t know why he would say that. If it made it this long dose that not prove anything in itself?

I'd say go for it. Parts are cheap and common. Easy to work on. Room for second alt. Good engine with lots of power.

Just my 2 cents. :)

EDIT: With added weight, they can be a bit fuel hungry.

I really wouldn't be too concerned with the tranny, i believe its more of a hit or miss type thing. I love them I've had 1 and now i have a 99 Envoy ( Same Body Style as the blazer) it needs some fuel work right now but when it is running its a great vehicle.

TDHRIP_zps8bedfde5.jpg

06 Impala SS
Kenwood Excelon DDX593

Ampere Audio 150.4

Ampere Audio 5K
1 XS D4700 (front)
Mechman 320a Alt. w/ Big 3

Lots of Second Skin Damplifier

Under Construction for 2017

I appreciate it guys. Buying anything can be a bitch really. We've had bad luck with used and brand new. There's just so many cars out on the road with that transmission that I was really wondering how bad it can be. Ya know? For what it is, for the price (listed for 2500, guy said he'll do 2300), and for my needs, I really feel good about this one. I just wanted to hear some testimonies. :D

Doe sit have the 4l60 or 4l60E. There is a difference. Both are good but the E is a bit stronger.

I'm really not sure. How exactly could I find that out? It's been so long since I've looked at cars...

Lane AKA HeroKight

'96 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4

R.I.P. Molliboo

$200 for new tires, on a jeep!? Is she stealing them or building them with a heat gun and rubber bands?

You hear that????

That's a category 5 shit storm coming

n8: hey you doing today. What's it like being a bitch? you can pm me if you'd like to explain why you arent one. Just like you did for your vs threads.

^^^Rules. Follow them.^^^

My slush box has a 3 speed, with an over drive.

I DONT know what one i have.

That said, right now, the last thing im tripping on, is the gear swapper. LOL.

Im trying to get a trip alt bracket made, and where to put shit, and other things. Im just hoping the damn thing starts all the time. LOL.

Like Allen said, the after market, is HUGE... the negatives on the platform, have the scales TIPPED with the good....

For a loud platform that is. Would i have it as my family get around,.. Nope... but, for what i need, its doing better than i thought.

Archived