Second Skin Audio

cleaning off surface rust on a motor

wd40 is a solvenet simililar to wiping down with alchol before painting correct?

NO, wd-40 was originally developed as a water repelling oil to prevent corrosion. That's exactly what I'm suggesting using it for

I'd also look into storing the woofer someplace where.. Well... It's not damp

i got it like this in a trade so idk what kinda storage it was in its in my room atm and thats where itll stay till it get sold,traded, or put to work. already have a pair of destroyers so i dont really have use for this big girl even though she is sexy.

wont wd40 add that smell to it though. and be slippery to the touch. the guy i would be trading it to is pretty anal. lol

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?391-How-To-Sub-Motor-Polishing

Short story: Brasso, a scotch-brite pad, and a whole lot of elbow grease. It isn't easy. Was probably the most difficult thing in my whole build.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

thats a tc 4hp neo right? you had the ease of not haing a fully assembled sub. i have aluminum polish here that should work right?

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

thats a tc 4hp neo right? you had the ease of not haing a fully assembled sub. i have aluminum polish here that should work right?

OP was actually a different guy. I show my subs on page two. Mine were assembled, 3HP motors.

Which polish? If you're talking the Mother's, that's only finish polishing, not abrasive enough for rough rust. Brasso worked best for me.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

ya mothers where do you find brasso at i feel like ive stocked it at work before in by where the scotch bright pads are

ima head to the store and get the stuff to try this now. i also have a polishing bad for headlights with diff degrees or sandpaper ? idk what it is but that should help me with all this maybe i can get a mirror fishish will be documenting this for all the pic loves

ya mothers where do you find brasso at i feel like ive stocked it at work before in by where the scotch bright pads are

ima head to the store and get the stuff to try this now. i also have a polishing bad for headlights with diff degrees or sandpaper ? idk what it is but that should help me with all this maybe i can get a mirror fishish will be documenting this for all the pic loves

Took me a couple days. Like 8+ hours total. Mine were pretty bad, can't really tell how bad yours are from the pic.

I bought Brasso at Lowe's. Mother's at AutoZone. I tried sandpaper and something else, can't remember, but the scotch-brite worked best for me. But I would suggest trying them all and see which works best. Maybe I've just got sand in my vag but polishing metal that's that bad isn't easy.

just thought id add..... wd40 was actually a rocket scientist invention....... "water displacement 40" and by 40 it was their 40th try at making a water displacement chemical. it was invented for preventing corrosion on nuclear missiles i believe.

pretty neat story..... should look it up

i think there real i was looking through that guys stuff he sells and it looks like he finds stuff at auctions and just sells it

Yea, it looks like someone got the mids about a month ago....shit. If I had a whole Hertz front stage my ears would jizz all over my cheeks.

/ LOL

My Low Budget Build:

Green 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon 147k- $1K

headunit- pioneer premier deh-p650-$25

4 Lead acid batts. 1 up front and 3 in back- vented outside.- $50

4 vvme L11 10"s <- $30 shipped a piece

6 cu. ft box (after displacment) tuned to 32ish hz with 10 inch sonotube. -about $50 all together maybe a lil more

2 aspm 1300 strapped

Selenium 6"s in the front doors on headunit power- for now -$20

quantum tweets in door-for now -$10

boston acoustic 5 1/4 in rear doors- for now-Free

big 3

1/0 and 4awg throughout.

roof sound deadened (not peel n seal ftw)-free

on 80 amp alt (bench tested to put out 100 amps faithfully) <--?-$10 for test

about $430 for everything<----Not bad at all

still gotta add 3 way crossover, amp for front and rear door speakers and maybe eq

the rust came off pretty easy with just some lime away. but the pits are what im having to deal with now i couldnt find brasso at walmart didnt think to look at lowes when i was there. so ill have to try that. is that an abrasive also?

Archived