cool safe mods for 69 grand prix

I just recently aquired a 1969 grand prix and it's a blast to drive but wanna see what I can do with it to maybe give it a little more power and make it more fun but without putting like a charger or something that will eat up the engine... it's a 45 yo car it's already old I don't wanna put something on it that will tear up the engine.

It's already got a 4 barrel carburetor on it which I think came with it but it might not be the original, and I already plan on replacing the exhaust manifold for headers to help lighten the load on the engine by pulling the exhaust out instead of making the engine push it out (that's what I was told was the benefit of doing that anyway) and debating putting cherry bombs on it just because it's already got a big loud engine in it and I think it would be funny to take that engine and make it even louder and was also told that they can help with performance some.

I have a kinda limited knowledge on engines and stuff especially when you go back as far as cars that have carburetors but I would like to learn which is part of why I went ahead and got such an old car so if any of my assumptions above are wrong or anyone has any other cool useful ideas I'm all ears!

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

Headers, exhaust. ..not cherry bombs unless you like obnoxious redneck sound. .. there's much better out there. ..a better ignition won't add a lot of power but will be more reliable.unless the heads have been rebuilt and updated in the recent years DO NOT add synthetic oil it will ruin the valvetrain. New carb and better intake manifold. If you want to open the engine up add a better cam.

2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition-Singer 240A Alt, Odyssey Battery,Pioneer AVH-2550NEX head-unit, Pioneer GM-DX874 powering Kicker CSS67 front-CSC5 rear, and Memphis PR 1.1000 powering 12in SSA ICON in G.P. ported box.

2003 Tahoe-320A Alt, Odyssey Batt,2 Resilient Sounds Gold 15's sealed powered by Crescendo BC2000D, Turbulent Designs Ported box AVH601EX head unit and Pioneer 3ways in all doors.

• 2 weeks later...

it takes a little while to turn over right now is that something that needs a new starter or just a new ignition system or something... or is that just something that comes with having a 45 year old car lol

and yea I just had to get an exhaust leak fixed on it and they had to weld a hole in the exhaust manifold but they said it may not last so probably gna go ahead and get the headers with the next paycheck and fill the hole in the exhaust manifold with headers sooner rather than later.

how about flowmasters? I've been told they're much better than cherry bombs I want to put in something that will make the already loud engine even more impressive sounding but that will also help performance if possible.

also I realized something the other day... it almost feels like the fuel intake system needs a boost... at low speeds when I try to open up the 4 barrels to get more acceleration instead of it taking off it stalls out... only thing I can figure is that opening up all 4 barrels at low speeds floods the hoses with so much air that there's not enough room to feed enough gas to the engine to even maintain speed much less accelerate... so what does that mean I just need bigger hoses? or is it deeper than that?

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

at work right now and can't get to photobucket and last I tried my photobucket app on my phone was acting up but I'll try to get some pics up for yall, she needs some body work for a few rust spots and a new paint job eventually but for now I'm focused more on getting the seat upolstry fixed and messing around under the hood lol she's still sexy even with a couple rust spots and faded paint job I still get looks and comments everywhere I go

My Build Log

woot got my photobucket app working

FOT89AB_zps555673fe.jpg

facebook_-1424379064_zpsl80bszbj.jpg

2014-03-01%2017.22.06_zpshwg5j93c.png

20140314_162548_zps0byq31du.jpg

20140314_162631_zpsfcbb9fvl.jpg

My Build Log

Archived