Second Skin Audio

PLEASE EDUCATE ME ON PORTED BOXES!

Deeznutz

OK so I purchased a use mint Rockford Fosgate T0D212,in a 1.75 cf ported enclosure. I have it set at 1 Ohm being pushed by my JL Audio J2 1000.1 amplifier. When.I play old school BASS 305 CD tracks the box screams, air moves in the car better than my 2 Rockford Fosgate HX2 sealed 10's. Driving w the windows down, you can hear the air pressure differences with the windows down. Reminiscent of my 4 12" HX2 days (sealed enclosure). I'm was very impressed. But when I play the new stuff my gf's kids listen to ex. Ty Dolla Sign, the output is ok. I understand tuning a ported box, but if the

recommended box is 1.75cf it should play around 35Hz. So these new songs are less than 35Hz?

I can build a box to tune lower, but if you can't hear lower frequencies is it worth it? Now I see how he blew the HX2 12" I gave him in a 2 cf box....trying to reproduce lower frequencies.

Any info will be much appreciated. Or at least point Mr in the right direction.

-Frank

Prefab box is your problem it seems. get a box design (i'd recommend ram designs) and build it yourself. it's easy and you will be happy with it.

CARS

14 Sierra crew cab daily, Small build coming one of these days

69 C-10 fleetside in many pieces, won't be done till the end of time

Last car '12 Focus with build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165619-2012-focus-btl-15-crescendo-sundown-audio-control/

A particular box size doesn't play a certain frequency. If you are using a prefab box it is likely tuned fairly high causing it to no play lower frequencies well. The tuning of the port is \determined by the height, width and depth of the port. As recommended above a custom box will serve you better. If you post the maximum useable dimensions you have available along with what type of vehicle someone will likely give you a design that will work best in your situation.

Thanks guys. Correction: the blown sub I was referring to was my gf's son destroying my HX2 12". lol. I was so tempted to increase the bass but than realized, it's playing lower than it's tuning. So I stopped and posted up instead. I was always a sealed box guy because of the "forgiving nature of sealed exclosure, and it being more linear" blah, blah, blah. I'm starting to like ported because of the +3dB you can attain, but only with some songs(that I've experimented with). I think that's the draw back for me.

Anyhow. The box appears to be custom. slot port edges are mitered. ported painted black, and big 12 Stinger Pro wire to the sub. There is no port noise just like I have read online. (You guys were right on that one!)

I will try to find the specs and post them up.

I was originally going to flip the sub on Ebay, since I paid $85.00 OTD, but man what a deal, and I'm impressed with the quality I want to keep her. But my gf doesn't want me to remove the rear seats of the convertible, buy another T0 and make a huge box. Ok, maybe I am too old for this stuff. lol. But I am having fun with all of this.

-Frank

Archived