Second Skin Audio

4th order adjustable port help

4bannger

From what I've seen is that you always want the ported side bigger. I've seen 1:1.5 1:1.75 and even up to a 1:3 design. Never have I seen a 1:1 design.

imo you have so much airspace you will have no cone control. The lack of back pressure will allow it to move freely.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

From what I've seen is that you always want the ported side bigger. I've seen 1:1.5 1:1.75 and even up to a 1:3 design. Never have I seen a 1:1 design.

imo you have so much airspace you will have no cone control. The lack of back pressure will allow it to move freely.

That just means you haven't seen alot of 4th orders that are worth checking out.

All those ratio's mean is nothing, it's just a coincidence.

You have to model the enclosure, easily done with modeling software like WinIsd

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

I also don't know anything about 4ths the few I've heard/seen in person sounded great musically and they all had a lot of time into rebuilding in order to get it right. I'm sure the ratio's where just nothing more then what it is a comparison between the 2 different parts of the box. Not exactly a design factor but just a ratio you can use to compare how big a be side is to the other

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

He has 15s, not 12s. It's still too much sealed airspace though, I agree there.

As far as tuning and port area, test, test, and more testing. The variables are countless. It's hard to say, X amount of port will avoid compression or noise, because in YOUR build in YOUR vehicle, it's impossible to tell. Build, test, rebuild. That's what you'll have to look forward to with a bandpass.

Actually that's will be constant with changing environments.

Obviously OP isn't going the correct route with this, he needs to rethink this.

4th order bandpass is a bad option for anything except a trunk car that doesn't let sound through properly.(for example non folding seats or sheetmetal between trunk and cabin)

4th order bandpasses don't work with ratio's, you'll have to look up how to design a 4th order.

If I understand what your saying a 4th order is the wrong way to go in an SUV? Would I get better output as far spl from a well built ported box? I'm not against ported boxes. My goal was to learn different aspects of building enclosures. I guess my ultimate goal would be maximum output from these subs using the amp listed above. I can build anything I'm just trying to learn

That just means you haven't seen alot of 4th orders that are worth checking out.

Could you direct me to a good Indepth tutorial on winisd I have it on my computer I can never get it to work for me.

He has 15s, not 12s. It's still too much sealed airspace though, I agree there.

As far as tuning and port area, test, test, and more testing. The variables are countless. It's hard to say, X amount of port will avoid compression or noise, because in YOUR build in YOUR vehicle, it's impossible to tell. Build, test, rebuild. That's what you'll have to look forward to with a bandpass.

Actually that's will be constant with changing environments.

Obviously OP isn't going the correct route with this, he needs to rethink this.

4th order bandpass is a bad option for anything except a trunk car that doesn't let sound through properly.(for example non folding seats or sheetmetal between trunk and cabin)

4th order bandpasses don't work with ratio's, you'll have to look up how to design a 4th order.

If I understand what your saying a 4th order is the wrong way to go in an SUV? Would I get better output as far spl from a well built ported box? I'm not against ported boxes. My goal was to learn different aspects of building enclosures. I guess my ultimate goal would be maximum output from these subs using the amp listed above. I can build anything I'm just trying to learn

Yes, not only is it easier to get a good ported box, it's also more space efficient and if you want the 4th order to have the same bandwith as a good ported box the output will be lower.

I'm pretty sure if you are looking for the ported box that has optimal performance in your vehicle you'll still be rebuilding quite a few times to nail it.

You can design a 4th bandpass for those subwoofers in a SUV but either you'll be dissapointed in it's bandwith or the output.

It's also not as safe as a ported box, you can't see the woofer or smell it so it's easier to blow a woofer.

Could you direct me to a good Indepth tutorial on winisd I have it on my computer I can never get it to work for me.

What part of it doesn't work?

The help function works great.

What part of it doesn't work?

The help function works great.

when i try and input my subwoofer info it doesnt go in the right way. ive heard you can pick any sub but i could quite possibly see how that works.

In the help function they explain properly how to input a new driver, there is a certain order to it and you'll have to let the software calculate a few values for you.

Never pick another subwoofer if you aren't going to use that one, not even one that might be close because it will be different as you probably already knew.

Yeah, even if you input a value that is the exact same as it calculated, it won't work.

IIRC, there are aome large signal values I didn't fill out.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived