Second Skin Audio

4th order adjustable port help

4bannger

Okay so I have a 4th order with 2 alpine type r 15's with a 1:1 ration 8cuft sealed 8cuft ported I have it tuned to 40hz right now. And the subs will be powered by a soundstream ta1.3000d.

I want to make like 3 bolt on adjustable ports to test out different tuning one for like 30hz one for 35hz and another for 40 hz. All external ports firing at the rear hatch door

My question is. Would 30, and 35 hz work for the 1:1 ratio. And what kind of port area should I shoot for for best output.

Would like to move some more air and hit the lows better

Bloody hell that is a large sealed section.

Someone can correct me on this if I am wrong, but a smaller port area will have more compression, which may help you feel the lows better. You'd be sacrificing some top end and SPL, however, and you're also likely to have greater port noise as the port area approaches zero.

That tuning seems very low, most bandpasses I've studied are using 40-50hz tuning, with a majority sticking around 45hz. The beauty of external ports is that you can try them out, and if they aren't to your liking you can easily change them.

04 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Kenwood Excelon X998

XS Power D3400

XS Power D1200

Singer 275A alternator with factory bypass

64 sqft SecondSkin Damplifier

Build to be decided

:peepwall:

He has 15s, not 12s. It's still too much sealed airspace though, I agree there.

As far as tuning and port area, test, test, and more testing. The variables are countless. It's hard to say, X amount of port will avoid compression or noise, because in YOUR build in YOUR vehicle, it's impossible to tell. Build, test, rebuild. That's what you'll have to look forward to with a bandpass.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

16 cubes net on 2 12s 15s, man you could have 2 18s ported easily maybe 4 15s there, both options would smoke that setup you are trying to fix.[/quote

I got the set for $100 so IMO that was a steal. In a few months I plan on going to 5 sa 15's walled behind the second row

As far as tuning and port area, test, test, and more testing. The variables are countless. It's hard to say, X amount of port will avoid compression or noise, because in YOUR build in YOUR vehicle, it's impossible to tell. Build, test, rebuild. That's what you'll have to look forward to with a bandpass.

I will just remake the box if it's too much sealed cuft what sealed air space and ported air space would you recommend. I don't mind building. That's my favorite part about his hobby. Plus I get all the free Mdf, screws, glue and nails I want at work in the shop. Plus acess to every tool. Space isn't an issue with the design. Any auggest in air space would be great.

I'm no 4th order expert, but from everything I've read and studied about them...try shrinking down the sealed section some first. Like cutting it in half. 4 sealed, 8 ported...

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Actually that's will be constant with changing environments.

Obviously OP isn't going the correct route with this, he needs to rethink this.

4th order bandpass is a bad option for anything except a trunk car that doesn't let sound through properly.(for example non folding seats or sheetmetal between trunk and cabin)

4th order bandpasses don't work with ratio's, you'll have to look up how to design a 4th order.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

I'm no 4th order expert, but from everything I've read and studied about them...try shrinking down the sealed section some first. Like cutting it in half. 4 sealed, 8 ported...

It's nice to hear someone admit they arnt an expert. I got advice from a member at another forum and they suggested that design. That was the the first 4th Oder I have ever done so I just trusted he knew.

Any experienced 4th order designs want to chim in on this

It's nice to hear someone admit they arnt an expert. I got advice from a member at another forum and they suggested that design. That was the the first 4th Oder I have ever done so I just trusted he knew.

Any experienced 4th order designs want to chim in on this

Archived