Bship Posted April 12, 2014 Report Posted April 12, 2014 I've been in the air force going on 11 years and they are in the process of making some huge cutbacks. I don't know yet if I will be one of the people to lose my job, but I'm trying to decide what to do if that happens. My question is, what would you do in this situation? I'm prepared to go back to school or whatever I need to do, I just need some ideas on what direction to go. CARS 14 Sierra crew cab daily, Small build coming one of these days 69 C-10 fleetside in many pieces, won't be done till the end of time Last car '12 Focus with build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165619-2012-focus-btl-15-crescendo-sundown-audio-control/
OrionStang Posted April 12, 2014 Report Posted April 12, 2014 School is the obvious choice. GI Bill pays for it plus BAH. SMD Super Seller My Feedback Thread
Bship Posted April 12, 2014 Author Report Posted April 12, 2014 School is definitely the goal. My question is more about what to go to school for. I need a good field to get into where I'll make decent money. I'm a mechanic now, I just don't think I want to keep turning wrenches for a living, it's taking it's toll on me physically and I would rather keep it as a hobby. CARS 14 Sierra crew cab daily, Small build coming one of these days 69 C-10 fleetside in many pieces, won't be done till the end of time Last car '12 Focus with build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165619-2012-focus-btl-15-crescendo-sundown-audio-control/
OrionStang Posted April 12, 2014 Report Posted April 12, 2014 Thats honestly something only you can answer. Just start browsing college websites and see what programs spark your interest. SMD Super Seller My Feedback Thread
greezychef Posted April 12, 2014 Report Posted April 12, 2014 I've been in the air force going on 11 years and they are in the process of making some huge cutbacks. I don't know yet if I will be one of the people to lose my job, but I'm trying to decide what to do if that happens. My question is, what would you do in this situation? I'm prepared to go back to school or whatever I need to do, I just need some ideas on what direction to go. take classes specialized in oilfield production side. you would be through in less than 2 years and would have a good job and get to work with some of the best people you could imagine. going into the oilfield changed my life.
Bship Posted April 12, 2014 Author Report Posted April 12, 2014 I'll look into it, so far I'm leaning toward IT in one form or another but I'm pretty open to anything. I'm sure there are plenty of good fields I just haven't thought of. The hours in the oil industry might be a bit of a turn off though. I'm a single dad and the military has kept me away from them too much already. CARS 14 Sierra crew cab daily, Small build coming one of these days 69 C-10 fleetside in many pieces, won't be done till the end of time Last car '12 Focus with build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165619-2012-focus-btl-15-crescendo-sundown-audio-control/
greezychef Posted April 12, 2014 Report Posted April 12, 2014 I'll look into it, so far I'm leaning toward IT in one form or another but I'm pretty open to anything. I'm sure there are plenty of good fields I just haven't thought of. The hours in the oil industry might be a bit of a turn off though. I'm a single dad and the military has kept me away from them too much already. true, it just depends on what you can find. i go to work at 730 and im home at 5 everyday. but im lucky.
n8ball2013 Posted April 12, 2014 Report Posted April 12, 2014 Do you have any it background at all? THERE IS NO BUILD LOG! 1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab Alpine CDA-9887 4 Team Fi 15s 2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0 2 Ampere Audio 150.4 3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound! 8 XS Power d3400 6 XS power d680 Second Skin Stinger Tsunami Wiring Sky High A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.
Bship Posted April 12, 2014 Author Report Posted April 12, 2014 I have decent computer skills, nothing to brag about but I have no work experience to show. I know I can go to school for it but I'm thinking it will be more beneficial to go for cisco or Microsoft certifications. My mom has a kid working for her with a degree in IT making $10 an hour. That worries me a little. CARS 14 Sierra crew cab daily, Small build coming one of these days 69 C-10 fleetside in many pieces, won't be done till the end of time Last car '12 Focus with build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165619-2012-focus-btl-15-crescendo-sundown-audio-control/
newls1 Posted April 12, 2014 Report Posted April 12, 2014 if i could go back and redue something it would be that i didnt fuck around so much behind a auto parts store sales counter and should have become a EMT/Firefighter 10 years ago... sheeesh.. Learn from our own mistakes I love my staffie So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.