Second Skin Audio

So I got a little anxious....

xxgokouxx

Hey guys, so I built a box for a single SA-8, ported, but didn't install the port yet (because it's being shipped as we speak).

I was really anxious to hear how it sounds, so I ended up installing it (in a sealed configuration, with dimensions made for a ported enclosure).

I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to dial in the sub since I don't feel like it is as responsive as it should be. I'm running a CT Sounds at1400.1d Also, the sub is quite a bit warm (as in the dustcap gets pretty warm).

The dimensions on the box are: 12x30x9 (Height x Width x Depth), wood thickness is 3/4th's MDF, or .75in.

I realize the box is quite big for what it is (simply because I built it to work with a port).

I am doing a 3in port, it is 12 inches long, with a tune of 33.99 Hz (I'd say 34Hz).

I am currently looking at this port: http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Port-Inch-Flared-Tube/dp/B0002ZPR4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397164308&sr=8-1&keywords=precision+port+3%27%27

I was recommended this as it came from parts-express and was told this port is very durable. How are your thoughts people of SMD, of this product? I have until Sunday night to decide (as I don't want to wait too long for the port to come in).

Thank you all for your input!

it's not gonna sound right if it's in a box not made for it....simple as that. Be patient, install the port, and see how it sounds.

edit: Or, if you have the spare wood, build a sealed box to spec, and see how it sounds.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

I think I'll just wait for the port, thank you for your input! You have no idea the hassle and hard time I had to go through building the FIRST enclosure LOL!

About the heat to the sub's dust cap and the port I'm purchasing tomorrow. Any input on those anyone?

FWIW, the SA-8 is brand new and just rebuilt before it was given to me. Sundown has, by far GREAT customer service IMO. They called him about the speaker and it was shipped out same day as the call, he received the sub and just dropped it off to me afterwards.

single SA-8 and 1400 watts?

Single SA-8, 4-ohm DVC (700w RMS). Sorry, forgot to add that part... I had a short conversation over that with Sundown and they recommended 4-ohm DVC rebuild. So that if I decide to go 2 SA-8's it'd be 1400w RMS @ 1 ohm.

Archived